PIN code instead of AppleID PW?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by MrSimmo, Nov 2, 2015.

1. MrSimmo macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if its possible to set a PIN code to auth purchases on the new Apple TV 4 like previous generations had? - Its a real pain in the a**e to have to enter a lengthy AppleID password using the Siri remote!

2. loekf macrumors 6502

loekf

Don't think so. I just set "never ask for a password anymore" to avoid to type in my lengthy password for each purchase. However, I can imagine if you have kids you prefer not to do so.

IMHO the combined intellectual force of Apple Design and the billion-dollar (bean) counters at Apple should have come up with a better solution, e.g. stick a TouchID sensor under the home button on the remote or somehow use an iOS device with TouchID to approve the purchase. They also could have used sending a 4-digit code to your iOS device to approve the purchase, way easier than typing in a 20 letter password using the touchpad.

3. leesweet macrumors demi-god

leesweet

+1 Touch ID and/or 2FA-like auth would have been perfect. I have a long Apple ID password so have it turned off but I can see how that's not workable with kids, etc. As been said many times, the whole data entry method screams for an answer before it was released.

4. MrSimmo thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheers guys, yeh I have kids unfortunately so disabling it would result in me enjoying a massive credit card bill every month :-(

Apple do provide some great products but do make some very strange decisions...

5. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Someone in another thread claimed they did this. They first turned off the requirement for passwords to make purchases. Then under Restrictions, they required a PIN code. I haven't tried it and can't find the thread right now.

-Kevin

6. dugbug macrumors 65816

dugbug

Might have been my post. It reverted back to asking me for a password after a day. Could be a bug I don't know.

Also, when entering your PIN there is no privacy (i.e. its not like entering a PIN on the xbox controller, everyone sees your selections). This was great about the remote app.

7. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

You know everyone testing this thing at Apple used an Apple ID password of: ccccccc1 :p

-Kevin