Pin MBP, Some new method for removal?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by marcelofp, Mar 3, 2013.

1. marcelofp macrumors newbie

I looked in all the forums have not yet found any effective method, someone already has something new?

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

3. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Probably the firmware password, the only way is probably brute force, which takes a long time, especially if it's the 6 digit one.

4. marcelofp thread starter macrumors newbie

From firmware.

I'm talking about the 4-digit PIN on start mac.

justperry, You talk I keep trying to type in the 10 000 combinations?

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Did you forget the pin?

6. Brian Y macrumors 68040

The remote lock PIN?

TBH, I'm not giving advice on cracking that since I don't see a legitimate reason for needing to (what are the chances of you setting a remote lock PIN and then forgetting it). The only thing you're going to be able to do is take it to Apple with ID and proof of ownership and hope for the best.

7. marcelofp thread starter macrumors newbie

yeap

8. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

You'll need to take it to Apple.

9. marcelofp thread starter macrumors newbie

Already it was, however I bought from a guy that I know and neither authorized mac can not unlock it

10. simsaladimbamba

Why not? Can you present a proof of purchase? The original buyer should have some, and if the original buyer you bought the used Mac from is a good friend and not that unorganised, s/he still might have that proof of purchase to give to you in order to reset the PIN.

PS: Apple is the name of the company selling Macs (personal computers running Mac OS X or OS X), iPods (portable music players) and iPhones and iPads (personal computing devices running iOS).

11. robvas macrumors 68020

You've never had to reset a PIN code or password in your life?
    Here's a tip: If a laptop is for sale and the seller either doesn't know the password, or doesn't have the power cord, it is stolen

12. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Sounds like he sold you a stolen computer.

13. Queen6, Mar 3, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2013

Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

The PIN is a legitimate security feature; Apple can remedy a Mac that is locked, you either need to prove proof of ownership or replace the Logicboard. Frequently we see such post`s, the most likely individuals to benefit from a step by step unlocking guide are those that have ill intention, or those who happened to pickup a $2K notebook for a few hundred dollars.

I have no doubt a small minority do fall "between the cracks" equally the present system protects by far the vast majority of honest owners. I have read so many posts attempting to justify reason for unlocking the PIN; I forgot it, if we crack the PIN it will force Apple to strengthen the system, I bought a used Mac and it was locked remotely, I want to test the system. Bottom line is those most likely to benefit are thieves, plain and simple common sense.

If you plan to buy a used Mac, buy it from a reputable source, a family member, a friend, a colleague, a known vendor. The guy in the car park wanting $500, for a new Retina is none of the above. I have been around Mac`s a long time, know a lot of people who own Mac`s and businesses that use Mac`s and to date I have never heard or seen a Mac locked by some fault of the system.

As for those that inadvertently remotely lock their Mac`s, all I can say is there are plenty of warnings. I know it sucks, equally it`s a consequence of your own actions. Personally I hope Apple move off the 4 digit pin to something more complex, as I am sure that there are many who will happily sit down and work their way through the 10K permutations for a free Mac ;)

14. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Not for a *remote lock* feature used when a device is stolen, no. :rolleyes: