Pinball Game 'INKS' Available for Free as Apple's App of the Week

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 14, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Each week, Apple chooses an "App of the Week" to highlight in the App Store, making it free to download for seven days. This week's pick is pinball app INKS, which is normally priced at $2.99. INKS was first released in May of 2016 and has never been available for free before. INKS was also a 2016 Apple Design Award winner.

INKS is a modern interpretation of pinball, combining the fun of a pinball game with tactical skill-based challenges and art creation. As you play, the ball sends bursts of ink across the game board, so it's a different experience each time.

The game features more than 100 unique pinball tables to conquer, balanced gameplay, the ability to share high scores and favorite canvases, and, best of all, no in-app purchases. Apple's Editors' Notes:
    In a review, our sister site TouchArcade gave INKS four and a half stars and called it a "clever spin on one of the oldest concepts in electronic gaming" with superb level design and visuals.

[​IMG]

INKS can be downloaded for free for the next seven days, and after that, a new App of the Week will be chosen. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Pinball Game 'INKS' Available for Free as Apple's App of the Week

2. tennisproha macrumors 65816

Looks beautiful. And what a unique concept. Bravo.

3. Dario69 macrumors member

I see in app purchases for additional credits so there is IAP.

4. Prozak0820 macrumors 6502

Prozak0820

Inks was free when apple had it as in ad in the Apple store app. Cause otherwise I wouldn’t own it don’t pay for apps.

Edit: it was September 8th 2016

5. usarioclave macrumors 65816

It's fun, but some of the upper levels are unfairly difficult.

6. tennisproha macrumors 65816

So they switched it to IAP now since it's App of the Week? That sucks.

7. JosephAW macrumors 68000

JosephAW

8. Michael Scrip macrumors 603

I used to be able to open iTunes from my computer (where I'm reading this page now) and quickly download the app and have it appear on my phone.

But they've taken that away....

9. simonmet macrumors 68000

simonmet

Thanks for continuing to highlight these. I’m not in the market for any Apple products so I don’t tend to browse the Apple Store app and I otherwise miss them.

As for (unlimited) IAP, yes I’m not a fan of that but I downloaded anyway and can’t see it being in any way obnoxious in the first few levels at least.

10. ColdShadow macrumors 65816

ColdShadow

11. brauntj macrumors member

So where are these "free app of the weeks" now in the iOS 11 App Store?

12. simonmet macrumors 68000

simonmet

I quite like this. I don’t think you need to buy any of its IAP at all.

Already got 20-30 mins fun playing the first set.

13. M.PaulCezanne macrumors 6502a

M.PaulCezanne

Aren't these free apps pretty much just all IAP?

14. Dario69 macrumors member

Not in all cases when Apple showcases it as their “free app”. It depends on the app or game. I believe this game always has IAP. I was planning to buy it when it first came out and was on sale but I believe it was the IAP that turned me off. Like a paid Freemium.

15. JackieInCo macrumors 603

Not going to fall for this. I was about ready to download the game but not now. I don't do IAP no matter what the app is.

16. M.PaulCezanne macrumors 6502a

M.PaulCezanne

Hate to say it, but the lack of true utility in the 7, 8 and X demonstrate pretty clearly that Apple is simply designing and selling advertising/IAP delivery devices.

17. JackieInCo macrumors 603

And the 7,8 and X models are the ones I've had no interest in buying. I still use my 6S and 6S+ and SE. The iPhone over the last few years lost it's magic.

18. tennisproha macrumors 65816

Actually there are no IAPs in the app. I downloaded and played it yesterday. No place to buy IAPs that I could find. The whole game is unlocked. Not sure why it says different in the App Store.

19. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816