Pinball Massacre Beta

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Vlade, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Vlade macrumors 6502a

Vlade

Anyone interested in testing my newest game on the Mac, Pinball Massacre? If you provide feedback I'll private message you a serial number for either this game or GL Golf or any of my other games. It's also available for the iPhone/iPad/iPod. It's a standard pinball game based on the comic books that two of the artist's work on.

95% of the assets are in place. You may find a few obvious missing pieces (for example the shareware delay, borrowed from my last game GL Golf), and a few less-obvious ones, but these will be fixed over the next week before submitting to Apple.

Thanks in advance for any advice and feedback, I hope you enjoy it. I'm hoping to submit/release sometime within the next week.

Currently it works on 10.6 and 10.7, not sure about 10.5. This build possibly requires 64 bit, I gotta check on the 32 bit universal binary when I get the new XCode downloaded on this laptop

http://nuclearnova.com/pinballmassacrebeta.zip
    [​IMG]

2. Charcoalwerks macrumors regular

Charcoalwerks

3. Vlade thread starter macrumors 6502a

Vlade

Unfortunately we can't do a public iOS beta test as we have a limited number of devices we can register with Apple. Gameplay should be exactly the same as on the mac, but some of the graphical goodies have to be turned off on the older devices. Thanks for the offer though!

4. danhoo macrumors newbie

danhoo

I tried this out for about 15 minutes or so. Vlade, if you need detailed information about the MBP I used to test this, PM me with a contact email addr that I can send this to. Tested on 10.6.8.

In general, it played very well, solid ball physics, no glitches even when lots of balls started dropping. The ball speed seemed a tiny bit slow compared to other pinball games I've played, but this isn't that noticeable. Art generally looks good.

A few things I noticed (probably all due to assets not being complete yet):

- No sound whatsoever (effects or music)
    - Some of the "objective" arrows were highlighted (in green) and some arrows seemed unshaded (flat grey) (Vlade if you need a screenshot example of a gray arrow, again, PM me).
    - This might be intentional: For the red/green bonus lights (there's probably a proper term for these) near the bumpers, I noticed, unlike other pinball games I've played, using the flippers would not cycle the lights.

5. Vlade thread starter macrumors 6502a

Vlade

Thanks Danhoo!

I think I'll increase the game speed a little bit, I had one other users mention that it seemed a bit slow. It's easy to tweak that parameter (one of the differences between easy-medium-hard)

- You're the second person to report the music/sound bug, I gotta figure out why they are disabled!
    - By design, once you hit the arrow targets they become grey to show that they have been completed
    - I'm not sure what you mean. The red lights should turn green once they are ran over by the balls, then once you complete a set of them they turn back red. Some of the lights actually flick on/off which makes it more difficult to turn all of them on, it's one of the later objectives.

6. danhoo macrumors newbie

danhoo

Yeah, sorry, this is probably not the easiest thing to explain via posting. But I'll give it a shot.

In some pinball games I've tried, when you have three adjacent lights in a row that can be lit by the ball and you only have one or two of the lights on, using the flipper can 'cycle' which lights are lit (to the left or right, basically). So, for example, if I had something like this:

< > <X> < >

where <X> is the lit light, if I press the right flipper control, I would see:

< > < > <X>

I'm not a pinball expert, so I don't know if this actually corresponds to real-world pinball machine behavior or not. I think it's mainly done so a player can have greater control when trying to get all three lights lit.

7. Vlade thread starter macrumors 6502a

Vlade

Oh okay, I know exactly what you mean now, thanks for the explanation. I'm no pinball machine expert, but I've encountered that before on virtual machines. We're working on our second table now, I'll try to incorporate that feature into it!

8. Vlade thread starter macrumors 6502a

Vlade

9. Vlade thread starter macrumors 6502a

Vlade