Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

montycat

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 19, 2007
Florida
Since I downloaded Lion I can't pinch and zoom Safari webpages any more. I have it enabled in preferences. Any ideas?

Branskins

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Since I downloaded Lion I can't pinch and zoom Safari webpages any more. I have it enabled in preferences. Any ideas?

Have you tried quitting Safari and restarting it? This fixed it for me. Must be a bug somewhere!

montycat

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 19, 2007
Florida
Pinch and zoom is behaving like when control and scroll is used instead of command and + the whole screen is zoomed instead the the page content

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
I have noticed a pinch/zoom issue with Safari 5.1 in Snow Leopard 10.6.8. I pinch/zoom once then it doesn't let me do it anymore. When I open Safari up again, it still only lets me do the task once.

How did Apple's programmers not see this?

Apple software with Apple hardware, "it just works"......really Steve?

Branskins

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
when you pinch and zoom does the screen zoom or the web page contents?

Only the webpage zooms. Doing this gesture use to increase the font in the old Safari. Now it does a zoom like if you pinch to zoom on iOS. You can also double tap to fingers to make it smart zoom. Does that work for you?

montycat

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 19, 2007
Florida
Only the webpage zooms. Doing this gesture use to increase the font in the old Safari. Now it does a zoom like if you pinch to zoom on iOS. You can also double tap to fingers to make it smart zoom. Does that work for you?

I liked it better the old way. The iOS way seems sloppy. Getting the page centered is a joke.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
I don't understand how Apple didn't catch this issue prior to the release of Safari 5.1.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
Found a fix. Using "Get Info" for Safari, make sure it's set to 64-bit mode. Mine was set to 32-bit mode and once I changed it to 64-bit mode, pinch to zoom worked fine again.

jkcmac

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2011
it works fine on my side. not only you can pinch & zoom. you can even zoom full by tapping twice with 2 finger by default setting or you can set it using 1 finger tapping to full zoom in launchpad setting. :)

ScottFitz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2007
Found a fix. Using "Get Info" for Safari, make sure it's set to 64-bit mode. Mine was set to 32-bit mode and once I changed it to 64-bit mode, pinch to zoom worked fine again.

I"m in 64 bit mode but the pinch to zoom text still does not work.

dcorban

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
I've noticed this bug as well. I was using pinch to zoom fine for weeks. Suddenly in the past week or so, it never seems to work.

Lion 10.7.1 with all updates and Safari in 64bit mode.

handel30

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2011
Miami, Florida
At first I was disappointed that both pinch and tap zoom only worked in Safari. If I had a Help or Finder window open, zoom didn't work. Then I discovered that you can activate zoom in system preferences under "universal access/seeing." This allows you to zoom way in and out anywhere you want by using option/command and the - or + keys.

My pinch and zoom works way smooth, considering this is Lion v.1. Lion's zoom seems better because I can more carefully control how much I zoom in and out (calibrating it with my fingers) than I remember being able to do in Snow Leopard. Did SL have two-finger double-tap smart zoom? I can't remember. I use the smart zoom tap gesture all the time in Safari.

alan2461

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2008

Thank you Resist!!!

I did what you suggested and this fixed my problem on my iMac running 10.7.1

tomf

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2009
My problem with pinch zoom is that it doesn't 'snap' the page anymore like it used to.

Before, when i zoomed in with 2 finger pinch, it zoomed in but the page also snapped to the screen, whereas now it zooms in but the sides of the screen are missing and you have to scroll left or right to see them.

I noticed now that it zooms in at the point where your cursor is, before it would zoom the peg in and resize it accordingly.

I'd love to get that back.

Maybe i'm missing something here?

MWPULSE

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2008
London
All of you people who seem to be having an issue with tap/pinch to zoom, have you checked that the setting is still enabled in Preferences>Trackpad. I have found that sometimes theres a glitch with the trackpad, i go to the Preferences page, turn off the corresponding option, turn it back on, and its fine... i have pinch to zoom (among other things all working fine for me atm-lion 10.7.2)

Also make sure that safari is upto date, current version/build should be 5.1.2 (7534.52.7)

Hope that helps.

migue897

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2012
pinch and zoom in safari

have you ever tried turn off and restar the computer, my mac have the same problem and i do that and work's!

mrbiggles

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2011
I had the same issue with Safari. I noticed that it disappeared after enabling the ctrl+scroll zoom in Universal Access. If it's not working you may want to check if the screen zooming is enabled (System Preferences > Universal Access > Zoom: Options... > "Use scroll wheel with...").

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.