Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stevearm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
This was a feature I adored in Leopard and Snow Leopard, could someone please tell me if this is possible in Lion, as it doesn't look like it at first glance? :(

stevearm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
I don't suppose a fix for this is likely? A terminal command or third party app to help re-enable?

It's my biggest issue with Lion, an awful, pointless regression.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
Hard to tell. Apple seems to have deliberately removed this option. With a bit of luck, they didn't actually take the underlying code out, and the functionality is really just a terminal command away. I wouldn't count on it though.

rwd hero

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2008
Baltimore, Maryland
There are a few other things in this update that make me scratch my head as well as this. Why would they stop you from making icons larger in finder? How are you suppose to organize photos if the thumbnail they assign to it is only 1mm big?

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
There are a few other things in this update that make me scratch my head as well as this. Why would they stop you from making icons larger in finder? How are you suppose to organize photos if the thumbnail they assign to it is only 1mm big?

- Well, you can still make the icons larger. You just can't do it with a pinch gesture.
I agree that it is a weird decision to remove this functionality.

brand350cid

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
regarding pinch/enlarge Finder icons

I liked that feature as well, it seems the pinch gesture is gone as well as the slider bar on bottom right of Finder window that enlarged/shrank icons. The option is still available in Finder/View/Show View Options (command j).

Fraaaa

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
London, UK
- Well, you can still make the icons larger. You just can't do it with a pinch gesture.
I agree that it is a weird decision to remove this functionality.

I sent a feedback to Apple that this "feature" was driving me nut, as unintentional gesture kept resizing my icons on the desktop which I wanted to keep at one fixed size.

I actually don't undestand the opposite - why do you need to keep resizing icons in finder. But whatever is your reason, I am glad that they listen to me, among others on this.

stevearm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
I sent a feedback to Apple that this "feature" was driving me nut, as unintentional gesture kept resizing my icons on the desktop which I wanted to keep at one fixed size.

I actually don't undestand the opposite - why do you need to keep resizing icons in finder. But whatever is your reason, I am glad that they listen to me, among others on this.

Well isn't that lovely for you.

Why would you be using two fingers in the desktop anyway?

As a photographer, I like to be able to put an SD card in, and quickly increase the size of the images in the Finder before picking the ones I want.

Either that or I like to have various folders on my computer at different thumbnail sizes and much rather have a quick and easy way ot increading/decreasing.

Yumunum

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2011
U.S.

So, it was you... *pitchforks*

Haha, well I understand differing opinions. But there should've just been a checkbox under Finder to allow/disallow it :S

MartiNZ

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand

Couldn't agree more - pretty sure it was widespread unintended zooming that prompted them to remove this. I saw a lot of people having this issue in SL - not the sorts of people that would know about leaving feedback mind, but people nonetheless :).

Pretty sure this is a greater good thing, and as for having the option, that would be very un-apple :eek:! But for those in this thread, sorry for your loss.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003

Couldn't agree more - pretty sure it was widespread unintended zooming that prompted them to remove this. I saw a lot of people having this issue in SL - not the sorts of people that would know about leaving feedback mind, but people nonetheless :).

Pretty sure this is a greater good thing, and as for having the option, that would be very un-apple :eek:! But for those in this thread, sorry for your loss.

It was an option. You could have just turned it off if it bothered you that much.

xcmF4.png

I for one used it all the time with folders of photos. It was easy just to do a pinch to quickly see previews of a bunch of photos. CoverFlow shows only a few at a time and QuickLook shows only one at a time.

Maybe some people have "better" ways…but like I said, it was an option.

redgilda

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2010
The slider is still there on my finder windows...
thanks for that comment.. I, too, was missing that option like crazy and to have someone confirm that they still actually have the slider on Lion meant that there must be a way! and there is!

Finder / View / Show Status Bar

so there, thanks :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.