Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Silvereel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2010
I'm just curious, why hasn't Apple implemented iOS' text rendering system in OS X? I can't really see a difference with the general text, but it's far better when it comes to zooming. If I try to zoom in on something in OS X, the text loses focus and becomes a total blur, whereas on iOS the blur is hardly noticeable. I don't think this is due to the Retina Display, although its been a while since I used an iDevice without it. So why doesn't Apple implement this better way of handling things across all of its devices?

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
In which apps? I've only tried it in Safari and TextEdit, and the text is perfectly crisp there.

Silvereel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2010
I'm seeing it on Safari. Is it just on my end? I'm using a 2012 iMac, and the text gets extremely blurred when zooming in with the Magic Trackpad. I don't see this on any of my iOS devices - I can actually read the text if while in the process of zooming.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
The text remains at the same resolution while zooming, but sharpens up when you let go. iOS does the same, as far as I can tell.

Silvereel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2010
The text remains at the same resolution while zooming, but sharpens up when you let go. iOS does the same, as far as I can tell.

Yeah, that's definitely what happens on iOS - you can see that it's not scaling, but it's still readable. On the Mac, though, it's almost like it loses resolution. Maybe it's just because I've gotten so used to Retina on everything else...

Drew017

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2011
East coast, USA
Yeah, that's definitely what happens on iOS - you can see that it's not scaling, but it's still readable. On the Mac, though, it's almost like it loses resolution. Maybe it's just because I've gotten so used to Retina on everything else...

For me the text is very readable while in the process of zooming… maybe it's on your end :confused:

(Change to 720p and you'll see what it looks like for me)

Silvereel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2010
For me the text is very readable while in the process of zooming… maybe it's on your end :confused:

(Change to 720p and you'll see what it looks like for me)

YouTube: video

Almost forgot about this thread... but yeah, mine's definitely not that smooth. Any idea what might be causing that? I'm running Mountain Lion on the late 2012 iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.