Pindelski Mac Pro Upgrade guide disappeared?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by pkshdk, Jun 27, 2014.

1. pkshdk macrumors newbie

Hello!

I'm looking to upgrade a 2009 4.1 to a 5.1, with faster CPU's, and a little while ago, i found the Pindelski upgrade guide, which is awesome.

But now it seems the link redirects to a page telling me to let him do it, and pay him? I mean, I understand the reasons, but does anyone happen to have a link to it somewhere else maybe?

2. m4v3r1ck, Jun 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2014

m4v3r1ck macrumors 68020

m4v3r1ck

http://pindelski.org/Photography/technical/mac-pro/

Update: sorry my bad, now I see that he indeed changed Part XI in the guide from DIY to LMDTFY! IIRC the author ran across some complaints by peoples who "Blamed It On The Boogie". Perhaps you can contact him for a PDF of the part you would like to read.

~ Cheers

3. pkshdk, Jun 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2014

pkshdk thread starter macrumors newbie

No, that's just the overview, from where you used to be able to get to the guide.

The link where the guide should have resided under Part XI, new redirects to a screen telling us how bad it can go, and a link to his upgrade service.

Anyhow, I'm just gonna follow the netkas guide, I guess :)

4. DPUser macrumors 6502a

Yeah, it WAS a agreat guide...

His site still has some really good stuff, but his statements that upgrading the CPU (especially on single CPU 4,1's) requires an expert appear to be either self-protection, an effort to expand his income, or a combination of both. Can't say I blame him, especially if he was taking a lot of flak from CPU socketmashers.

Having done the job successfully myself, I can assure anyone interested that the single CPU upgrade from 4,1 to 5,1 is very simple, as the stock 4,1 CPUs included the IHS and the socket in those Macs is identical to that found in the 5,1s.

5. lexR macrumors regular

lexR

I noticed this too, i used to reference it a lot when i was looking into upgrading the cpu's in my 2009 MP, i found a youtube video of the upgrade http://youtu.be/YAdgT-hJuXU which i found very useful.

I have also been successful in my upgrade but i must admit it was a bit hairy at times... worth properly setting up for and setting by a couple of hours on the dual core versions.

I have written up my experience with the 4.1-5.1 upgrade and other MP upgrades which i will try and post when its cleared itunes.

6. bxs macrumors 6502

7. shindom macrumors member

Pindelski's guide was great, but ultimately I used the one at netkas' to do my upgrade, which I think is plenty enough if you read carefully: http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,852.660.html#msg24313

8. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

He took it down because of the threat of lawsuits by some fat fingered folks who buggered up their machines. The world, the US in particular, is lawsuit crazy IMO.

Thanks touchUpInside for finding the link.

Lou

9. omvs macrumors 6502

His guide had a lot of nice images, but I disagree with some of his recommendations too for the dual upgrade -- if there's any chance the unit might experience shock (like shipping), I think you really want to use washers to keep the heat sink up higher.

One post I had found suggested 2mm, but from my weekend upgrade I found I still had a gap between the washers and the posts after my upgrade -- 3mm seems more reasonable, and I should probably fix mine someday.

10. SadChief macrumors regular

SadChief

11. m4v3r1ck macrumors 68020

m4v3r1ck

The guide is there, but he changed Part XI from DIY to LMDTFY! Check it out and also see the remark by FlowRider... :cool:

12. SadChief macrumors regular

SadChief

Oh I see now. Apologize.

13. m4v3r1ck macrumors 68020

m4v3r1ck

No Problem, this question got me fooled too...

14. SadChief macrumors regular

SadChief

For those missing and/or needing Pindelski's complete Guide, you have some information and instructions about DIY CPU swapping on a single-processor cMP unit here:

http://www.macbidouille.com/articles/370/page1

Even if one doesn't read French, pictures are sufficiently informative (not dual upgrade however).

A better thermal paste application method than that described in the article above can be found here:

http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appmeth/int/vl/intel_app_method_vertical_line_v1.1.pdf

15. Riwam macrumors 6502a

Riwam

You can quietly insist Lou in the USA as lawsuit crazy.
    More than quantity of cases dealt it is a matter of amounts of money at stake.
    I have 3 children in different countries who are already or study to become lawyers and they are positive that the only country in the world in which a lawyer can become a millionaire is the USA.
    In other countries laws limit the wages lawyers are allowed to charge and forbid them to become "half way partners" to share the super huge amounts of money resulting from many of those lawsuits.