Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

093758-ping_ipad_500.jpg

Over the weekend, Apple turned on access to its Ping social networking service via the iPad, adding a new tab within the iTunes application to allow users to quickly access the same functions available through the desktop and iPhone/iPod touch iTunes application.

Just like the iPhone version of Ping, the new iPad version offers three tabs, an "Activity" tab showing the latest posts from artists and friends the user has chosen to follow, a "People" tab to view and manage artists and friends following and being followed by the user, and a "My Profile" tab to show the user's own activity along with a link to a "Concerts" panel showing upcoming concerts from Ping artists in the user's area.

The new iPad functionality for Ping comes just days after Apple and Twitter teamed up to offer integration between their two social services, allowing Ping users to automatically Tweet their latest activity and integrating the display and previewing of iTunes Store content directly on Twitter.com.

Article Link: Ping Comes to the iPad's iTunes Application

Duncan-UK

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2006
As with the frankly intrusive nature of Ping on the desktop version of iTunes, this is very unwelcome.

Social networking is fine if you like that sort of thing. The problem here is that if you dont there seems to be a presumption that you "ought" to want it.

I just want to upload my own music and listen to that - I really dont care what others are listening to.

Comment

nelmat

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
As with the frankly intrusive nature of Ping on the desktop version of iTunes, this is very unwelcome.

Social networking is fine if you like that sort of thing. The problem here is that if you dont there seems to be a presumption that you "ought" to want it.

I just want to upload my own music and listen to that - I really dont care what others are listening to.

Intrusive? Just turn it off - what could be less intrusive than having it entirely hidden?

Comment

nelmat

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
First and only question: How can this crap be turned off?

Read the manual, it's easy. On the desktop iTunes you can simply deselect to view it under preferences. People asked for this (well actually screamed and stamped their feet like children for it) it arrived in 10.1, and yet no one seems to have noticed.

Comment

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
Sorry apple, I know how much you hate to kowtow to other companies but in this particular case your product is mostly useless without facebook.

Comment

3goldens

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
who cares, maybe kids, do we really need another social networking network, no, we do not, but thanks apple for trying!

Comment

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Ping is a great learning tool for Apple in order to bring this functionality to the App Store. Give it some time.

Comment

i.mac

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2007
Sorry apple, I know how much you hate to kowtow to other companies but in this particular case your product is mostly useless without facebook.

I heard other folks underestimate apple before... Apple hater, are you?

Comment

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I'm afraid to activate Ping based on my experience with facebook. If you start it up, does it report every song you play in iTunes to whoever is following you? Or, do you have to actively post songs you like?

Comment

Becordial

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2009
Get it away from my iTunes!

Apple say they want a great user experience and don't like visual pollution on their devices so they're not being honest if this isn't off by default.

Was looking at the front page of MR and noticed the number of tweet/fb icons (fortunately kept small) and I just really think a lot of the social networking is good for links/business, but most people don't like an oversharer. As a measure of that most articles are "shared" by a tiny percentage of those who read them (guessing the article page read numbers a bit).

Comment

thesheep

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2006
Hey, brilliant!

I think Ping will make all the difference to my experience of the iPad. It will really take it to the next level. Wow.

Comment

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
Read the manual, it's easy. On the desktop iTunes you can simply deselect to view it under preferences. People asked for this (well actually screamed and stamped their feet like children for it) it arrived in 10.1, and yet no one seems to have noticed.

It's a little sad, but that sort of made my day - I hadn't installed iTunes 10.1 yet, but that made me do so. Thanks nelmat.

Hey look, Apple offered users an option for the first time in a while and the world didn't end! More of that please Apple.

As for Ping on the iPad... meh. Nice for those who want it I guess.

Comment

Corbin052198

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Porco said:

It's a little sad, but that sort of made my day - I hadn't installed iTunes 10.1 yet, but that made me do so. Thanks nelmat.

Hey look, Apple offered users an option for the first time in a while and the world didn't end! More of that please Apple.

As for Ping on the iPad... meh. Nice for those who want it I guess.

Look at all those tabs in the iTunes app

:D

Comment

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
I heard other folks underestimate apple before... Apple hater, are you?

Oooo, oh noes! I said something that implied that Apple wasn't all mighty and all powerful and that they might sometimes need business partners to accomplish their goals! On noes! I must be a hater! Dude, grow up. Every company, including Apple, requires business partnerships to accomplish their business goals.

Comment

iJoeB

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2010
Not iOS 4.2, but it shows positive signs that 4.2 could be closer than we think. It also shows that Apple is doing those little things every day to continue to push their point that the iPad is magical and revolutionary :). Although this is small news, I tip my hat to you Apple :apple:

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.