Ping (latency tests) on LTE.

ZacT94

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2012
Hi everyone. To all of you that have an iPhone 5 or any LTE device, I'd like to ask you what your ping (latency) is when in LTE. I'm posting this so I can compare and see if there is sometnig wrong with the network I'm on.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
Hi everyone. To all of you that have an iPhone 5 or any LTE device, I'd like to ask you what your ping (latency) is when in LTE. I'm posting this so I can compare and see if there is sometnig wrong with the network I'm on.
what carrier? my ping on 4G can be anywhere from 100ms to 800ms. the network here is so messed up, i cant stand it.

ZacT94

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2012
what carrier? my ping on 4G can be anywhere from 100ms to 800ms. the network here is so messed up, i cant stand it.
Telstra, which is an Australian carrier, but I'm using all results. You get more than 100ms?! On LTE, I get anywhere between 30 and 70 ms. But you have a lot more people on your network and it seems like AT&T doesn't have the capacity. What speeds are you getting?

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
Telstra, which is an Australian carrier, but I'm using all results. You get more than 100ms?! On LTE, I get anywhere between 30 and 70 ms. But you have a lot more people on your network and it seems like AT&T doesn't have the capacity. What speeds are you getting?
im on H+, not LTE at the moment. but i cant get over 1 MBps right now no matter what i try. its pathetic.

ZacT94

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2012
H+ should at least be getting between 4-9 Mbps.
It depends on your network as well. If it is DC-HSPA+, then most carriers go up to 21Mbps, although DC-HSPA+ supports up to 42Mbps, and even up to 84Mbps on rare occasions. My LTE connection averages at around 40Mbps, but does go over 50 a lot. My H+ connection averages at 10Mbps, although it is in a zone that is supposed to max out at 8Mbps.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
On Verizon LTE my pings are always between 35 and 45ms.

ZacT94

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2012
That's similar to what I'm getting. What are your speeds?

ZacT94

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2012
So your latency is good, your speed is ok. Doesn't Verizon have lower 3G speed than carriers that use HSPA+/DC-HSPA+ because of the CDMA network?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
So your latency is good, your speed is ok. Doesn't Verizon have lower 3G speed than carriers that use HSPA+/DC-HSPA+ because of the CDMA network?
Yes... on 3G Verizon in a good signal area I was getting about 2Mbps down and 1Mbps up. ATT on HSPA+ here was about double that on a good day. Problem was ATT signal in my area was very spotty. So far Verizon has had much better coverage. The LTE is a nice bonus too.

ZacT94

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2012
So there isn't anything wrong with my network at the moment. Does anyone get lower than 30ms on LTE?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.