Ping? WTF Apple?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by OGDaniel, Sep 1, 2010.

1. OGDaniel macrumors 6502a

OGDaniel

I just got through the "Ping" section of the keynote, trying hard to keep my lunch down. I am not usually one to question the decisions of the Cupertino company, but I can't help but feel an ultimate bummer later on with Ping. It may be a sort of nice idea, but it just doesn't feel right. Anyone else think so?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I want to try it for sure. I hate myspace but the musical aspect of it is great. I am hoping that it somehow brings in more indie artists but I think I'll be disappointed because the artists on myspace aren't really ready or on iTunes.

3. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I'm gonna ping you as soon as I can :p

4. OGDaniel thread starter macrumors 6502a

OGDaniel

Well I'll try it, but I'll be doing it begrudgingly. I don't see any long-term merit in it, but maybe I'm just not as perceptive as Apple's engineers.

5. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

I personally love the idea. I have a list for musicians on twitter, but I hardly ever check it because I normally check twitter on the go so even when they recommend something good I forget about it by the time I get home.

With ping now I will be able to follow those same artists. Also if I find people with interesting music choices I can choose to follow them so I can get new ideas.

6. headphase macrumors newbie

I'm disappointed. It thought it was going to be like Last.fm and follow the tracks you play, instead it seems like just a big iTunes Store advertisement.

7. prvt.donut macrumors 6502a

prvt.donut

I saw the "Apple have announced new networking tool called Ping" and thought! Wow! Have I gone back in time to 1982???:D

8. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

If you don't like it, why not just turn it off? It's not something you're obligated to use.

It's pretty bare right now, but it looks decent enough to me. If I don't like it, I can always turn it off. What about it particularly was such a turn-off?

9. abc123 macrumors 6502

Being able to check out artist profiles is kind of cool but extending it to user profiles seems unnecessary.

At first I thought it would be a bit like a LastFM kind of thing but it doesn't seem like that at all. It seems very focused on itunes music store sales.

10. BeachHead macrumors newbie

I thought it was going to kind of be like IM where it shows what you are listing to or give like the last 5 or 10 songs you listen to. I don't see it as any thing I would use now.:(

11. dockingbay94 macrumors regular

dockingbay94

I was hoping this too, so it would be more like a last.fm kind of thing. That would have been great. But without that ability, it just sucks.

Hopefully Apple will add that feature.

12. jotade11 macrumors regular

No, I think a lot of us are with you in being underwhelmed, especially by the all-grey interface, although that might change still.

13. fatfreddy macrumors newbie

Instead of ping, I wish they had included a 'Spotify' type thing into the new iTunes.

14. Radio macrumors 68000

so funny to read everyone's lack of enthusiasm

it was dead out the door.

u will be missed :(

15. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

No, no it won't.

16. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

Miss what? ;)

17. Gaidin43 macrumors regular

2 years later someone actually dug this thread up.....

18. aliensporebomb macrumors 68000

aliensporebomb

Perspective

As a recording artist on the itunes store I'll tell you, it was like having a big ballroom set up for your fans but with nobody in there.

I had almost 50% more users looking at my musical acts' facebook space for that purpose than I did ping.

My last message on there was "so, will the last one out turn out the lights?"

Echoes, resounding.