Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amnichols10

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2008
Ever since the update to watchOS 2 and iPhone 9.0.1 the "ping iPhone" feature from the watch has not worked consistently if at all. I know that this topic has been covered before, but it doesn't look like that has been a permanent fix to this. All fixes I've seen have only been temporary ones that stoping working after a certain amount of time. Thought I would repost the question to see if has happened to anyone and if anyone has figured out a fix.

Thanks for your patience and reading.

amnichols10

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2008
having installed iOS 9.0.2 the Ping feature seems to be working now. Will keep you updated.

amnichols10

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2008
for me it's back to being inconsistent. Any fix for this? I didn't even know there was a way to make the LCD flash. This is a really annoying bug. You think that they will fix it with a watch update?

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
I'm amazed it got though 2.0 if that is the culprit. Or was not fixed in 9.0.1 if thats the culprit.

Either way as you say _very_ annoying bug which need sorting out ASAP.

Neo1975

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2015
Very strange. This issue seems to be connected somehow to Siri.

Turn Siri off and it works 100% like it did on OS1. I have turned Siri back on and it continues to work.

Maybe others can try this to see if it's a long term fix or not.

Neo1975

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2015
I don't know if turning Siri off and in again worked or it was the iOS 9 Beta 3 on the iPhone , but it's all fixed now. Never fails. But the LED flashing doesn't work for me anymore I liked that.

pommie82

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
uk
I have been speaking to Apple support about this and i have found it to only ping from the watch to iphone on bluetooth and sometimes it won't work on wifi.

I think it about time they have brought out some fixes for the watch because i think their still is a few
in the watch.

amnichols10

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2008
I think if enough people bring up this problem then they will issue a fix for it soon if they are not working on it already.

Neo1975

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2015
As I said earlier I think iOS 9 Beta 3 may have fixed it.

Is anyone else running this beta ?

Would anyone else try it to confirm if the ping works for them ?

pommie82

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
uk
i have spoken to them five times and they haven't really said much about it really they think it could be something to do with the wifi in my house.

My network works fine because before i updated i had no problems at all and everything was working fine

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
yes, 'network at house being the problem' is rubbish. My network at home is 100% apple.

I have tried at my girl friends house and my mothers house and all three locations have intermittency with regard to 'pinging' the iphone. Very annoying.

My 'ping' worked 100% on older software too, it must be a software glitch, apple please release a fix!

Cheers

pommie82

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
uk
i really wish they would sort it all out now because their is loads of stuff that is not going to my watch and to be honest and truthful their is no point haven the watch if things are not going to the watch because that is the whole idea of the watch for things to come to the wrist to save you looking at your phone all the time.

The most annoying thing is too that you are unable to downgrade to a lower version so you could get everything working properly with no problems the would be fine but it apple stupid idea not to be able to downgrade.

When the next update comes out i will be reading the forums and looking to see if the update is any good if it ok then i would download the update if it rubbish i will be steering clear from it and waiting for the fix to come along.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.