Pingtest.net

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Dagless, Apr 2, 2010.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Well I'm having another moan at BT at trying to fix our terrible internet connection and I stumbled upon a site...

[​IMG]
    http://pingtest.net/

Anyone got a worse connection than mine? :D

2. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

bloody heck, :O thats terrible, why not change suppliers?
    mines pretty good lol
    [​IMG]

3. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

[​IMG]

Huh, wonder why it went to Philadelphia, when I'm closer to Washington, D.C

4. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

I had a connection that was almost as bad when I was with O2 (originally with Tiscali/Talk Talk where the connection was very variable) a few weeks ago, though it was the speed rather than the line quality that was particularly awful with a download speed worse than dialup even when syncing at 8 Mb. Sadly I don't have the links to the speed and ping tests.

Luckily I was within the 30 day trial so I switched again, now I'm happy. :)
    [​IMG]

I might try turning off interleaving sometime to see if I can improve the ping a bit more.

5. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

If they don't fix it this time we're certainly looking at switching, even though they keep touting a 40-50mbps service coming to our town (its just 1.5mbs at the mo). They can stick it if the line quality is going to be this poor!
    Also, a polite **** to everyone with an A connection :p :eek:.

6. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

the 40-50 will only be through fibre op's do you get your net through the phone line? have you tried changing the micro filter attached to the line?

7. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

A useful tip I found was to disable the bell/ring wire (not used by modern phones) which helped my connection a lot.
    Take a look at the ThinkBroadband FAQ. I used some insulation tape to disable it.

8. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Just did some checking and we get that fibre on the 31st Dec 2010, thanks BT :rolleyes:. But yea we've done everything we can to improve our line. It's the 3rd time we've had to contact them and every time - nothing.

9. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

i'd change supplier, i've been with some crappy suppliers in my time but never had anything that bad, on a side note,

are you using a stock supplier router? or your own one, if it's stock, try restarting it, i've found mine bogs down every week ;)

10. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

From a Brit point of view my location is the back of beyond:
    (the second one is near on twelve thousand miles and is not that much worse than yours I'd get very angry at BT about this)

Attached Files:

11. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

Well for some reason, it wouldn't test packet loss for me, even when I changed browsers so whatever:

[​IMG]

12. omar4578 macrumors regular

omar4578

[​IMG]

i hate AT&T...they constantly disconnect me, and im supposedly paying for 1.5mbps but only get 150kbps...gosh, idk why i havent changed to road runner or cox... *sigh*