Pink Floyd Rival (looking ...)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dreamlife789, Jun 21, 2010.

1. dreamlife789 macrumors member

I am looking for any music that can even come close to Pink Floyd as far as eerie intensity, mellowness, smoothness, spiritualizing influence, haunting beauty, weird, unique, and epic ... something to trip out or get stoned to.

2. pooryou macrumors 65816

Well you could check out some early Porcupine Tree. Voyage 34 is especially in line with what you describe.
    [​IMG]

3. Keniff macrumors 6502a

Keniff

I know they're cover versions, but if you like Floyd, check this Album - "Easy Star All-Stars - Dub Side Of The Moon (LP)"

Also, "Kruder And Dorfmeister - K And D Sessions (LP on Studio !K7)"

And also a bit of interest for you, if you like The Floyd, back in the day they said they were inspired by "Planet Gong and the flying teapots" so maybe look up some of their stuff.

And also everyone should own a copy of "Miles Davis - Kind of Blue"

4. okrelayer macrumors 6502a

Go with porcupine tree. While voyage is good, sky moves sideways is more musical. Check em out!

5. AnimaLeo macrumors 6502

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDGLtorAjVg

What an idiot. I'm no Apple fanboy or anything, but come on. This guy is a grown man, he's acting like some spoilt little brat in my opinion.

Porcupine Tree = lol.

6. lighthouse_man macrumors 6502a

Are you familiar with Roger Waters' solo career? If not check all the albums, just skip Radio Kaos.

7. okrelayer macrumors 6502a

I imagine that YouTube video is of steven breaking iPods.(at work can't see the video) It's definitely over the top, and it falls into a concept on one of their albums. He's obviously using the iPod as the scape goat of the death of an ALBUM. Where as artists now mostly create songs where as in the past they created cohesive albums.

Pt is one of the better bands to grace us in awhile. That's saying a Lot seeing as they've been out for 20 years!

8. Gonzo3333 macrumors 6502a

Gonzo3333

9. NathanCH macrumors 65816

NathanCH

David Gilmour also had a few great solo CD's.:)

10. AnimaLeo macrumors 6502

Ahh ok I didn't know that. But still, to me it just comes across as really whiney.

Not only that but people that buy iPods seem to be the kind of people that buy music, he can only afford to do that because people buy his music. Not to mention the fact that there's people around the world who can barely afford food whilst he's smashing up a £200 piece of equipment. That sounds really preachy haha, I don't mean it to be, it just really made me angry for some reason.

11. pooryou macrumors 65816

I agree, The Sky Moves Sideways is amazing and definitely better than V34.
    I couldn't resist the rec though due to the OPs specific statements ;)

All of their stuff is worth checking out IMO.

Re the video: hadn't seen that, I can see how that would seem pretty silly. Regardless the music is great if you go for that sort of thing.