Pink highlight

Discussion in 'iPad' started by wesk702, May 14, 2010.

1. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

Sometimes when I tap a word it highlights the word in pink and an lil menu pops up. What is this and how did I do that?

2. steel magnolia macrumors regular

What does the little menu say? That would help us to know how to help you. Also what app are you in when this happens?

Patty

3. Fry-man22 macrumors 6502

Fry-man22

I think the iPad has a "Replace" option in the first pop up menu - when selected this applies the pink highlight you reference...

4. CarboysDesire macrumors 6502a

CarboysDesire

I've seen it too! It's like a text editor or something. It gives different word options and if you choose one it replaces the word in your text with the one you chose. I haven't figured out how to force it to pop up yet.

5. KevKaos macrumors 6502

Try misspelling a word and see what happens.

6. Fry-man22 macrumors 6502

Fry-man22

What do you mean? I guess I can see why you haven't "figured it out" - I posted how to bring it up one post before you. Select a word, select "replace" from the resulting menu...

7. CarboysDesire macrumors 6502a

CarboysDesire

Haha. I guess I mean I haven't really tried to force it up yet.

OK I figured it out.

Type "jesr" or some other nonsense word and then hold your finger on it. Then choose Select. Then choose Replace... and suggestions will pop up.

Neat.

But if I'm typing a word I should know what word I really want and how to spell it. If I think I am spelling it right but am not then I'm not likely to look for a replacement.