Pink iPhone 4 Photos

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iEdd, Mar 25, 2011.

1. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

Hi,

Since I've had the iPhone 4, taking close up photos of white objects results in a beetroot coloured picture. This is particularly annoying for me as other than the colour-cast, the iPhone 4 produces scanner-comparable results, which would otherwise be great for capturing drawings and notes.

1. I'm not talking about the issue where there is slight pink on the edges and green in the middle.
    2. This is close up, indoors, in a mid-bright naturally-lit room with no flash.
    3. I've searched thoroughly about this problem, but usually just find people complaining about #1.

Attached is what it looks like if I take a closeup of a normal, white piece of paper. Photos of almost everything else appear normally.

So, is this a hardware flaw, a software flaw, or a defect - in which case I should take the phone back under warranty? It seems like a software design flaw to me...

Attached Files:

2. kels0119 macrumors member

kels0119

I don't think it's software or hardware. It just looks like poor lighting. I also don't think it's pink, i mean, it's obviously pink but not in the fact that its a hardware/software issue its the way the camera reads the lighting.

It looks as if you took the pic top down so i am assuming your body and phone blocked out a lot of lighting making the image dark (casting shadows). if you were to take it from the side (at an angle) where more light gets in, I would think that it wouldn't be completely pink. It would show as white where the light reaches it.

I also don't think I explained myself well and will probably get some feedback for it... Oh hell, I probably sound like a fool but I could probably replicate the same color issue. Hopefully that makes some sense. That's just what I am thinking by looking at the image.

3. Shawnpk macrumors 6502

My wife had a similar problem. Her photos were constantly turning out green. We finally figured out that the light was bouncing off her GREEN iPhone 4 case and causing all the pictures to turn green. Do you by any chance have a pink cover on your phone?

4. iEdd thread starter macrumors 68000

iEdd

Thanks for the replies, but this happens with overhead natural light or front natural light. It is top-down, but I'm not shadowing it and I don't have a pink case.

Look how well the black writing is distinguished from the paper. If I took this in low-light, then everything would be darker.

If I do it in a really bright room, the pink goes away somewhat, but it's still there.