Pink!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by macbook123, Apr 17, 2012.

1. macbook123 macrumors 68000

Apple really does have some quality control issues. I only wonder whether Anandtech was just very lucky getting a good screen, or whether Apple sent them one that was better controlled. Anyway, no luck so far for me. I'm showing three pictures, one being the macrumors site, the second being a white background image, the third being black background. The display on my first try (pictured on right) has a significant color gradient from top (pink) to bottom (neutral-green), as well as apparently a backlight variation across the same direction (see black background image). The display on my second try (pictured on left) is uniformly pink and has scattered, but significant, backlight bleeds.

Attached Files:

• P1.png
      P1.png
      File size:
      2.5 MB
      Views:
    • P2.png
      P2.png
      File size:
      1.4 MB
      Views:
    • P3.png
      P3.png
      File size:
      2.4 MB
      Views:
  2. mcdj, Apr 17, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2012

mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

It's not clear from your post...is your "second try" a replacement iPad for the first, or are all these photos of the same iPad?

Either way, I feel your pain. I went through 5 iPads to end up with one that still has elements of both your photos, but not as glaringly so.

From my experience, I'd say try not to get too hung up on how the thing looks with a black screen in a dark room. My best advice for finding an acceptable replacement is to decide which is more bothersome, a pinkish screen, a warmish screen, a multicolored screen, or an unevenly lit screen. Getting one that has the least amount of the most annoying flaw is about the best you can hope for from what I've seen.

3. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

If I has to choose, a yellow even tint would be preferable. Having abrupt pink hues or green is really distracting. As long as your not comparing a warmish white next to another device, most people wouldn't even notice.

4. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Those are two Verizon 64 GB iPads, bought within a week of each other. I was hoping to not have this strong brightness and color gradient in the new one, but the pink hue on the new one covers the entire screen, and is much more pronounced (hence the title of the thread, the first thing I thought when seeing a white page on the thing was "pink!").

5. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

The pink is fairly extreme. Try getting it swapped out.

6. Dlanod macrumors 6502a

Don't put up with this crappy quality. Take your cash somewhere else. I've given up. Samsung manage to make perfect devices out of the box. Why not Apple? Greed perhaps?

7. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

It's interesting that you mention Samsung, since they make the New iPad displays.

Again, what puzzles me most is that none of the professional reviewers appear to have noticed this. It's very obvious.

8. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

A reviewer is being paid to review the product in an overall way, and is probably trained to ignore manufacturing glitches which may be specific to the review unit. Roger Ebert doesn't discuss technical problems in the projection booth on the day he watched a film.

OTOH, some people have postulated that reviewer samples are hand picked.

9. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

No offense but your Roger Ebert analogy is bad. Most reviews about the iPad focus on the display, simply because the iPad is all about the display. A movie on the other hand has nothing to do with the projection booth.

I am surprised about the differences between displays from a purely technological perspective. These variations I've seen are stark and common, and it seems that many others here agree, but if something's produced by a machine, how can there be such stark and common aberrations?

10. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

They are machine (and hand) assembled, but elements of the screen are made with highly sensitive materials and processes. They are chemically created, chemically treated, and dependent on exacting conditions during processing. A degree or two variance in the temperature of a solvent or coating, or even a minute variation in the curing time can yield a totally different result when it comes to creating something as technical as an LCD.

When you crank out a million or two more LCDs than you did for last year's launch, there are bound to be problems. Add to that a retina display this size is new territory for everyone involved.

11. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

That sounds scary. Obviously I hope they will learn to do a better job with time.

12. ZipZap macrumors 601

I stared at those screens for like an hour....but I cannot see the hidden 3D image.