Pinkish tint in half of MacBook Pro screen: bad screen?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ralphch, Nov 20, 2012.

1. ralphch, Nov 20, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2012

ralphch macrumors newbie

About a month ago I purchased the 15" MacBook Pro with the glossy high-res screen (not the retina). The screen is the LTN154MT07, which seems to be manufactured by Samsung. After some use, I'm noticing a very faint pinkish tint on the right half of the screen, which is more noticeable when looking at white or very light greys. I have tried calibrating the screen to no avail.

Does anyone know if this is normal? My 2007 Macbook Pro did not have this problem, and it's starting to get a little frustrating.

Is there anything I can do, or should I ask Apple for an exchange? Since I bought this through their online store about a month ago, I don't know what their policies are.

Thanks!

2. ralphch thread starter macrumors newbie

3. nitromac macrumors 6502

Looking at mine now (I have the matte version of the hi-res display -- same model screen though) I also have that tint. It's perfectly normal, I think, for a laptop display (even a MacBook). Every display I've used (all sub-$500) has had some kind of discoloration. It's VERY hard to find one that doesn't, unless you can afford $2.5k for a display.

TBH it's not very noticeable. In fact, I haven't noticed it until you pointed it out. It's extremely faint. My HP 2311xi IPS monitor has more of a discoloration than this MBP screen.

4. katmeef macrumors 6502

If its bothering you why not talk to apple to find out your options

5. ralphch thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi nitromac and katmeef, thanks for both of your replies. The tint is definitely light, but noticeable once you point it out to someone: it's almost like if the entire right side of the screen is slightly darker and pinkish.

Since I do some graphics work, it is kind of weird how flat light greys look slightly pink on the right side, but not the left. At least it could be consistently pink throughout.

nitromac, does your screen have the same left-to-right inconsistency?

Since I'm traveling, I'll live with it for a few weeks and decide whether I visit the Apple Store once I get back.

Thanks again!