Pinlo Slice 3 - thinnest case

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by viewfly, Jul 12, 2011.

1. viewfly macrumors 65816

viewfly

I found the thinnest case for the iPhone 4, the Slice 3 by Pinlo 0.350 mm of polycarbonate to be exact. Comes in many translucent colors too. I have the GSM(ATT) version. The Verizon has a different cut/back design that I don't care for.

I have the NGP Incipio (smoke gray great protection), the Bumper(Apple), and the Acase Superleggero Diablo. I also go naked with just a Sena pouch.

So, I understand the need for protection, but mostly I don't drop my phones. I just want something that Apple neglected to give me (and always does): a better grip on the back/side, and a bit of cushion so I don't feel that the back of the phone will sit in table crumbs. - sure the glass won't scratch so easily, but a bit of 'skin' is all that I want. The Slice fixes antennagate too. Plus it DOES fit into apple's slimmest iPhone 4 docks: it is that thin.

I like the Acase, because it is thin, and has a nice feel. The Acase is 0.7mm thick. And in this world of 'black' cases, I like to show the Apple logo through the case. The Acase Ice Cube fit the bill, but I really wanted something 'smoke' like the NGP Incipio, Mercury translucent.

This Slice 3 does that. I almost canceled my order...thinking it too thin. But I like it. Crisp Apple logo shows through. No bulk added to the phone. And I know it is only a skin...not drop proof...but that is want fits my needs. I do switch out when necessary.

The jury is still out on how often I can remove this case without breaking... and I will update. Pinlo give instructions on the best way to remove carefully. I polycarbonate and thin enough to bend, but care must be taken.

Feels good in the hand. So thin, even the back iPhone lip is evident. $26.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. bimmerchop macrumors regular

I love it. Been looking for a thin case for the past couple weeks now to replace my apple bumper and incase snap. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this thread now.

3. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

looks good, but the smoke incase snap wins for me because of the "lay on the table" design

the incase snap gives a perfect feel in the hand

my opinion of course :D

4. viewfly thread starter macrumors 65816

viewfly

The Incase Snap is a fine case.

This Slice 3 and the Acase both do not have a 'lip' on the front to raise the front glass from a surface (also like the Apple Bumper). Hence the no 'lay on the table' design. I certainly liked that about the Bumper and the NGP.

But I don't understand the concern. Placing screen protector on the front gives removes any reasonable 'lay on the table' concerns. Unless you like to drop it on the table.

Not having that front lip is what makes this case very slim and makes the front screen very attractive. Nothing wrong with the Snap...the NGP is similar...this Slice 3 is just better at keeping the form factor of the original phone.

5. nate13 macrumors 6502

nate13

I'm pretty sure I could have my phone inside this case, and inside my Otterbox. I'll look into that...

6. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

I see what your saying but most screen protectors scratch very easy when you lay it flat down after awhile. That's probably why I like the lay on the table snap case the best

Regardless, thanks for sharing your thoughts with pics

Looks good :D

7. Faded1984 macrumors member

Can you tell me if larger headphone jacks will fit this case?

8. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

OP, I couldn't agree more. I've had this exact case for a few weeks now, and I think I finally found the perfect one :) It really has everything that I'm after in a case.. just a little transparent, very light, good grip, and doesn't interfere with the Invisible Shield.
    And in my opinion, it's one of the best looking cases, mostly because it keeps the original shape of the iPhone, which is just spectacular design!

PS. Had an issue with the first one they sent me (it was bent and wouldn't snap into place all the way) and they mailed me a replacement. Pretty decent customer service, all they asked for were some pictures.

9. viewfly thread starter macrumors 65816

viewfly

Can't say. All my Bose/Sony fit. The hole is a good size and the case thin- so maybe.

Sent from my iPhone 4 with TapaTalk.

10. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

My first slice (frosted white) lasted about 2 months I think. I decided to buy one again since I need a case and while it lasted, i love the slice... soo we'll see how it goes this time around.

11. calvy macrumors 65816

I think they all eventually rip. I'm using the pinlo bladedge and liking it. But I'm not sure it'll last forever either.

12. WesleyWu2011 macrumors newbie

13. viewfly thread starter macrumors 65816

viewfly

Hey, thanks for your input here. I suspect that would be the biggest problem with a really thin case...ripping or tearing after many cycles of removing/installing the case.

Is that what happened to yours? Over the 2 months, how often did you remove the case, weekly?

I've read the same with the feather (incipio), snap (incase) and the Acase. Especially at the corners. I think most mgfr's don't design for constant removal of their products. I hoping that if I'm careful, it will last long enough.

I'll try keeping this one on, since it is so close to the bare phone. If it doesn't work out, well, I'll go from there.

thanks.

14. benfica88 macrumors regular

It just eventually tears or cracks. I had two and both cracked really fast with out removing the case. I've since moved on to the Acase superleggra and best case so far for me. It is a bit thicker but it's lasted 6 months so far.

15. stcizzle macrumors regular

I have the Verizon version of the pinlo slice and the snap case and I have to say that if i still had the black iphone id prefer the pinlo but I have the white iPhone now and the Verizon CDMA version only comes in the transparent black color with a hideous checkered back unlike the nice plain back of the gsm version. So needless to say I'm using the white frost snap case. Looks great on the white iPhone. If pinlo comes out with a clear or white CDMA version I'll probably buy another.

16. bryann9182 macrumors regular

nice, looks good. The verizon version that they sell looks goofy though.

Where can I get a solid white snap on style case that fits the verizon version?

17. stcizzle macrumors regular

Solid white meaning not transparent I'm assuming? And are u looking for lay on the table design or slimmer design w/o lay on the table?

18. bryann9182 macrumors regular

Solid or transparent it doesn't really matter just as long as it's white. I really loved the way the black 3GS with the white back looked and I wanna try to replicate that as much as possible. I would prefer lay on the table design since I dont use screen protectors but if its not possible to find on then ill settle for one without

19. stcizzle macrumors regular

Well the incipio feather is nice in white- they call it glossy tonic. (www.myincipio.com) no lay on the table though.

I'm using the in case snap case in frosted white. Bought it from the apple store. It looks great on the VZW white iPhone 4.

I'm not sure other than these two. These are my top two picks.

20. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

Yeah I took mine off to clean about 1/wk. However, my thin incipio for my 3gs also tore in a few months way back when... Just par the course with these case. I wished I didn't have the antennae issue or else I would not bother with a case.

21. GT-R macrumors member

this case looks nice... whats the best place to buy?

22. viewfly thread starter macrumors 65816

viewfly

I bought it direct from Pinlo

Sent from my iPhone 4 with TapaTalk.

23. viewfly thread starter macrumors 65816

viewfly

UPDATE: I've had the Slice 3 for 11 days now. It has held up to about 6 removals so far. But great care must be taken to follow the instructions on how to remove it. Be sure to have good fingernails, and remove it along the sides, never at the small tabs at the bottom, near the speaker/mic. I put a small bend in that portion, while rushing to remove. It still fits fine however. There is no manufacture defect, it is just thin material

I suggest it is a good case if you don't plan to remove it often, or remove it daily, with care.

It is a very nice case, very slim and form fitting. It will fit over a back screen protector too.

Up to the user to decide...

24. kattjeveln macrumors member

Mine tore apart first day of purchase, found some lint underneath it and had to remove the case from the phone, and even though I did it with care, the case tore by the volume buttons.

First time removing it, first day, hadn't even used it for a minute.