Pinnacle Video Capture for Mac - 16:9 widescreen - how?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by kazuyasasa, Aug 17, 2008.

1. kazuyasasa macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I've used the search function but couldn't really find anything in particular about this issue. I have just recently purchased a 'Pinnacle Video Capture for Mac' or 'Dazzle' as the device itself says on the top.

Now it all works fine, I have output both on my TV and my Macbook. This all only works in 4:3 though, if the incoming source is 16:9 all I can record is a zoomed in picture which makes it 4:3 and cuts everthing around it off.

Does anyone know how to configure 'Pinnacle Video Capture' to record in 16:9? Or how I make iMovie aware of the device to capture in there if that is even possible? Any help you can offer would be very welcome.

Thanks,
    Sasa

2. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

Are you sure it's zoomed in and not vertically stretched to fill the screen? The vertical "stretching" to 4:3 is just how proper 16:9 works (anamorphic), but nothing should be cropped off.

If that's not the case, instead of a true 16:9 mode, does your camera have a letterboxed 4:3 mode? See if that works any better.

I'm assuming you're using an analog camera (or some other analog source) since you're capturing through Dazzle and not just directly over firewire. Make sure your source's settings are configured correctly, as it's likely the problem if you're capturing actual 4:3 with no problem.

3. kazuyasasa thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah it really is cropped / zoomed in. I tried it with Soul Calibur 4, and everything a the top, bottom and the sides is being cut away (like health bars for example).

This is really more of an application issue or if the device is capable of doing so. It's just really frustrating to be honest. And I can't find anything about it online either.