Pinwheel at start up.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by pinwheeler, Sep 8, 2011.

1. pinwheeler macrumors newbie

My professor sent the class a pdf that froze all of the mac desktops in the class (all of which recovered) but really screwed up my macbook.

When it boots up, it goes to the desktop, loads everything, and then pinwheels. Also, the battery life calculator appears for about the first 30 seconds and then disappears.

I tried booting up while holding down the shift key and it does the same thing. Maybe I'm missing a step here.

Narrator chimes in after about 3 minutes, but the rest of the computer is useless.

It also gets really hot really quickly.

Oddly, the widgets keyboard short cut works but I can't manage any of them and I can't exit. Worth noting: there's no pinwheel in widgets. It just stops functioning.

This entire time, I have full control over the direction of the mouse, but I just can't select anything.

Fun fact:
    I sent the computer off to Geek Squad and while they were able to turn the narrator on, they couldn't manage to fix the whole pinwheeling thing. They said it was a "software issue" and sent it back to me in the same condition.

Any help is appreciated.

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I KNow What I Would Do

Sounds to me like you are going to have to restore the machine...(I hope you have backups of your critical data)

Apple will talk you through it, or do it for you if you are still under warranty.

BUT

I would make the dear old Prof pay for his mistake although I can't for the life of me imagine how a PDF could screw so many machines.

I hate to say this, but most College profs. are luddites (awaits incoming flack) and don't understand the tech that well.

He cost you....He pays.:)

3. pinwheeler thread starter macrumors newbie

ughhh don't tell me that. lol

The pdf wouldn't even print from another computer. It printed out a sheet with some error code on it. No idea about that one.

Something's telling me that if I can find a way to get the pdf off my computer, I'd have it working again. Any ideas?

Thanks, though.

4. session101 macrumors regular

you could get an external HDD case and pull out your HD and go in through another computer to get rid of the file but it sounds like your computer is EFFF'd