Pinwheel of doom

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lgwells1, Sep 23, 2011.

1. lgwells1 macrumors regular

lgwells1

I just replaced my old Macbook with a new Pro i5 13". Does not have a SSD, and is completely stock.

The problem is I am seeing a lot of the pinwheel when just doing some normal task. I have the activity monitor up and running on my dock so I can see how much of my processor is being used. It is never full, but I keep seeing the pin wheel.

Honestly I probably keep this Pro until they release one with USB 3.0 next year. So I do not want to dump big money on a SSD when prices will probably be cheaper next year. Should I upgrade to 8GB of ram? I can do it for about 30-45 bucks with some deals I have seen online for Crucial.

I see the pinwheel anywhere from 1 to 5 times a day.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes", so you're looking at everything running? Also, have you checked to see if Spotlight is indexing?
    You'll keep it a lot longer than that if you're waiting for USB 3.0. It's highly likely you'll never see that on a Mac.
    Look at the System Memory tab of Activity Monitor. If your "page outs" under normal workload is significant, you may benefit from more RAM. If your "page outs" are low or zero, you're not maxing out the RAM that you have. Be aware that "page outs" are cumulative since your last restart, so you may want to restart to set it to zero, then track it under normal workloads.

3. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

For the past 3-4 years, prices of SSD's have not dropped dramatically. As for usb 3.0, good luck. When I first bought my mbp 2.3 i7, I immediately noticed how slow the computer was with the stock 5400 rpm drive. You might as well buy an SSD because you can use them for the future (buy SATA III at least). Most people complaining about their speeds usually deals with a mechanical drive.

I immediately ripped the 750gb and switched it with a intel 80GB 320 and I have boot times of less than 15 seconds. I recommend the switch.

Also how much free ram do you have? Upgrading to 8gb is recommended with lion by me, as I am just running safari and Word and have 2.3gb used.

4. lgwells1 thread starter macrumors regular

lgwells1

With only one tab open on Safari.

2.35GB Free

Page Ins: 220.9

Page Outs: 0

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

So you're not maxing out your RAM. Did you check All Processes?

6. lgwells1 thread starter macrumors regular

lgwells1

Yes, the item taking up the most memory is Dashboard Client at 5.0-7.9%

7. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

I'm not trying to give you a hard time but you went from 750GB to 80GB? How can you survive on such small space? I sure the boot time is awesome but I am barely surviving with 500 GB internal and a FW800 500 GB drive.

My Documents folder is 81 GB by itself.

-P

8. lgwells1 thread starter macrumors regular

lgwells1

Yeah, I would find it pretty hard to downgrade 670 GB worth of space for a SSD. NewEgg is still raping for a decent size SDD, I will be holding out a little longer.