Pinwheel

Forbess

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2018
When Safari is open (and only then) certain (but only a couple) websites use so much memory that the page freezes and the pinwheel twirls and twirls. I've chatted with Apple advisors three times and the instructions they send haven't helped. I've reset NVRAM, reinstalled Mohave 10.14.1, powered up in Safe Mode. This issue began about 2 weeks ago.

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
When Safari is open (and only then) certain (but only a couple) websites use so much memory that the page freezes and the pinwheel twirls and twirls. I've chatted with Apple advisors three times and the instructions they send haven't helped. I've reset NVRAM, reinstalled Mohave 10.14.1, powered up in Safe Mode. This issue began about 2 weeks ago.
MacRumors does this sometimes and I have 32 GB of RAM in my iMac. I just chalk it up to all the overhead on the site.

Forbess

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2018
Could be. The "problem" sites have lots of video ads, stories, etc. It's just that this has never been an issue until recently.

Forbess

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2018
Which Macbook for you have? Are you using an SSD or mechanical drive?

Could be a failing sata drive cable.
[doublepost=1542562924][/doublepost]SDD drive. Didn’t mention that the issue is sporadic but seemingly more frequent over the last several days. When it happens and I check Activity Log, either Safari or the website, e.g., Boston Globe, is using 98-100 percent of the memory.