Pioneer AppRadio

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by jjk454ss, Jun 22, 2011.

1. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

I'm thinking I kind of want the new Pioneer AppRadio, I know its very new, but has anyone here purchased one? Anyone tried on out anywhere? Its seems like it will be really cool.

2. spaghetti head macrumors member

I saw it in a catalog I just got. They didn't have much info on it, and it looks big. However, it looks like a great idea.

3. fox10078 macrumors 6502

fox10078

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/534.32 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Its an amazing deal for a head unit with 6 preamp out and excellent iPod integration.

4. truciet macrumors 6502

for the money, you can't beat the price/features ratio IMO

5. jjk454ss thread starter macrumors 601

jjk454ss

Well, I'm pretty set on picking one up. Hopefully I can find one and get it installed this weekend.

6. Poob Bubes macrumors 6502a

Poob Bubes

Be sure to let us know what you think. I am highly interested but I am curious as to the responsiveness of the touch interface.

7. jjk454ss thread starter macrumors 601

jjk454ss

Definitely will, I just hope I can find one without having to order. I'm not patient enough for that;).

8. Poob Bubes macrumors 6502a

Poob Bubes

Amazon has them with free 2-day shipping if you have Prime.

9. yOyOYoo macrumors 6502a

yOyOYoo

looks cool but i don't think my car has space for one of these.

lexus IS

10. amart26 macrumors member

I'll probably pick this up even though the bad reviews, it has such great potential.

11. mike9285 macrumors newbie

yea, that's what i just did. installing it this weekend. i'll let you guys know how it goes.

i've been monitoring appradiocentral.com for info. they have some videos up too.

12. jjk454ss thread starter macrumors 601

jjk454ss

Well, I got mine today. But I cant get it working. I can see my calendar, pics, but maps. But the radio is not working, I get no sound. I think it might just be something with the wiring harness, but I am going to see if I can't get it working tomorrow.

13. jjk454ss thread starter macrumors 601

jjk454ss

Got it working, I will let everyone know what I think after I get a chance to play with it. Probably not much time over the holiday weekend though.

14. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

just get the X930BT , you can get it for about $600 on ebay or $800 or $900 at best buy if you like going there. Much better radio.

I have been using the X9xxBT series for 3yrs now with my iphone, great integration all around for everything. Not sure what the app one can offer over it other than a pretty iphone like interface with less features.

*EDIT* Ouch went through a couple vids there of it, definetely get the x910/920 or 930, all 3 of them are better than this lol

15. jjk454ss thread starter macrumors 601

jjk454ss

Besides a much lower price:confused:?

16. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

$200?

if your spending $400 you might as well spend $600 and get a brand new 930bt, even a 2yr old pioneer X910BT that could be had for around $300 has a 10x better iphone,ipod interface than that "app radio" does.

17. jjk454ss thread starter macrumors 601

jjk454ss

I'm not a big car audio person, whats better about the other units?

18. mike9285 macrumors newbie

Got mine up and running tonight. I like it a lot but the UI needs some polishing. Rdio, Pandora, Inrix, and MotionX are the four featured apps that use the radio's screen but it also lets you watch video with any app that supports tv out (Netflix, Hulu, etc).

Apple's SDK allows apps to utilize a secondary screen. That's all these apps are doing to show info on the radio. Hopefully more developers jump on.

19. Southern Dad, Jul 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2011

Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

In the two videos where he is complaining about it, the radio does not have an iPhone plugged into it. In the second one he is pressing the HOME button but is already at the home screen. When the iPhone is connected the iPod and Apps icons are not shaded. In addition, he has to enter the language and all the presets are blank. Indicating the battery being just connected in his vehicle. I'd say he has other issues than the radio.

I've went by my local Best Buy and played with one of these for quite a while. I had no issues with it working. If you download the app for it on your phone it helps give you even more apps that you can use on the radio. I came back to the same display three days later. Many people have used the radio and it still is working fine.

Mike, I'd love to hear more about how your radio is working. I'm considering putting one in a Navigator and one in a Prius. My 1st Generation Insight only has a single DIN.

20. Last.Black.80 macrumors newbie

I love mine!! Had it about 4 weeks now.

Here is a little write up I did from another thread.

21. JCCash macrumors regular

AppRadio

I have had my Pioneer AppRadio for about a month. It works pretty good. I'm hoping with the iPhone 4s that it improves some things. What I wish it would do is if I was changing something on my cell phone it would not remove (for example) MotionX GPS map. If you have the map up and then go to start Pandora or (I know you should not do this) look at a Text Message, the current screen changes to a message warning...

22. shortys408 macrumors regular

I have heard awful things about appradio. Over on the pioneer head unit forum they call it crappradio

23. cytoxyn macrumors regular

cytoxyn

The biggest thin that I have finally realized is that it is a first generation piece, so there will be issues. There are some issues with it, but you have to expect that. The learning curve is quick to navigate the quirks so it becomes a decent experience. As Poineer develops this product it will only get better.

24. Ikyo macrumors 6502

Ikyo

Honestly, for the price you really have a hard time finding something better. It does most of the functions that the average person would want. The big feature is the cheap nab compared to other units. My fiancee has one and has had a few issues with it, but nothing major. I will say that the bypass that I use on it is a little bit of a PITA.