PIONEER Blu-Ray BDR-202 in MacPro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by UltraNEO*, Aug 24, 2008.

1. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Hiya all,

I'm considering installing a PIONEER DL Blu-Ray Writer, model BDR-202BK on the MacPro simply for mass storage, as some of my projects have exceeded that of DVD's. Besides, BDR's are cheap here (Japan) - typically a pack of 3 is less then 1800円

In regards to burning, I know Toast is required which I have already thanks but... does anyone know of any interface issues with the those SATA ports within Windows via BootCamp? Occasionally, I'll need to use the drive within windows.

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

have you tried it yet? itll probably work flawlessly in OS X and youll have to install the included drivers in Windows. i think Finder can burn to Blu-ray disks natively!?

3. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Not tried it yet, I did a little bit of reading between the lines and some users says the on-board extra SATA ports ain't seen in Windows... I'm wondering how much truth there is to this theory? Could it be user error?

Anyway, they're selling the original (non re-branded) retail drive here for 45,000円 which is fairly cheap in my opinion considering i have tons and tons of Yodobashi Points t0 spend, should have enough points for the drive and 15 discs. We have the reader for a little more then 19,000円 ... but i honestly don't see the point in owning a reader.

4. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

OSX .5 does not support blu ray

5. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

^ were talking about writing to Blu-ray discs for storage. not reading Blu-ray movie discs which only Windows supports atm. im pretty sure i read that here that Finder and Toast have write support.

6. almostinsane macrumors regular

The two extra ODD SATA ports aren't seen in Windows.

7. brand macrumors 601

brand

I believe that for the two SATA ports to be seen in Windows AHCI has to be enabled.

8. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Sorry, don't mean to be rude but if you wanna watch movies buy a PS3 or a Standalone box... If you've read my thread in detail you'll know what I'm trying to archive here...

Yep, this is what I heard too... I'm just wondering should I be thinking about investing in a interface card,
    if so which? Or alternatively find a IDE version (thinks that gonna be challenging)

Eh? Does the MP even have AHCI support? Where's the reference your referring too? I'd like to know more.. thanks.

9. nanofrog macrumors G4

I'd go for an interface card. I don't like using interface adapters if it isn't absolutely necessary. Hopefully the cost difference wouldn't be much between a PCIe SATAI/II interface vs. the IDE to SATA adapter. :)

As for AHCI, I think so, but not absolutely certain. :eek:

10. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Er... Don't you mean a SATA to IDE adapter?? Cause the port arrangement is slightly different and I'm assuming they're out there!!

Anyway, UPDATE.

Been to the store today, they have loads of BD-ROM drives with the ability to write to DVD instock. But not the Pioneer one I'd like, that's a DL compatible . DOH!!! :rolleyes:

But I brought a few packets of disks... That's 50Gb DL :)

11. OZMP macrumors 6502