Pioneer Internal Blu-Ray burner for $300 this June

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ronni3, May 4, 2007.

1. ronni3 macrumors regular

I am again considering dropping some money for a Blu-ray player/burner coming this June, but wanted to get some of your opinions.

First, I would definitely use it for movies, since I have a Dell 24" Ultrasharp LCD, and I have been dying to use that resolution for something hi-def. Having a resolution of 1920x1200 sucks if you can't watch something in 1080p on it.

Second, I would backup everything I have so as to never lose all my music (again). Recently one of my hard drives became corrupt and all of my library of over 90Gbs of music was lost. I tried to recover it with a few pieces of software, but all they did was retrieve and blend two songs together and, on top of that, mislabel everything.

With one of these babies I could have it all, BUT is now the right time? Should I wait a little longer for prices to drop further? I believe Blu-Ray will be the eventual successor to DVD. HD DVD doesn't have enough backers.

Let me know what you think. Chime in with your thoughts. Thanks!

2. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Have they come out with software yet like Mactheripper for Blue Ray/HD-DVD?

3. The General macrumors 601

Sort of. It's crackable, rippable, and transcodable, but there aren't any programs that will do it all as elegantly as Mac The Ripper. Currently, Windows is the easiest platform to do it in because the software to do it with is for Windows.

There is a program by Slysoft called AnyDVD HD that is basically a decryption layer. You can play a Blu-Ray Disc or HD-DVD on a computer in full resolution using it, because it strips the disc of AACS encryption/protection. It will play in PowerDVD 8 or whatever they use to play those discs. WinDVD? But yeah, the player sees it as unprotected so it will play the disc at full res even if your video card and monitor don't support HDCP encryption.

ffmpeg now supports the video format of BR and HDDVD - VC1, or EVC1. It can play EVO files ripped with BackupHDDVD/BR.

Furthermore, as soon as a Blu-Ray drive for my Mac Pro comes out at that is $200 or less, I will buy it. Until then, they can stick them somewhere else. :p

4. YoYoMa macrumors 6502

Wow, this is great news. I wonder what the street price will be. If it streets for around $225 to $250 I say why not. You'll enjoy it for a year or two and then upgrade if needed.

5. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

6. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe