Pioneer Launches World's First Lightning-Powered Plug-and-Play Speaker

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 20, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Pioneer today introduced Rayz Rally, which it claims is the world's first Lightning-powered plug-and-play speaker that has no battery.

[​IMG]

The portable speaker can be used to listen to music, but Pioneer is heavily marketing it as a speakerphone for conference calling.

For conference calling, Pioneer says users simply plug the Rally into the Lightning connector, initiate calls from the iPhone, and the call is automatically transferred to the speaker. Despite being small enough to fit in a pocket, the speaker is supposedly loud enough to be used in a boardroom.

[​IMG]

The speaker has a single button on the front that can mute/unmute calls or play/pause music depending on what it's being used for. It also has a female Lightning connector that allows the speaker to be used with a Mac or PC, or for pass-through charging to an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, with a Lightning to USB cable.

The speaker works in tandem with Pioneer's free Rayz Appcessory Companion App on the App Store [Direct Link] for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.

Pioneer said the Rayz Rally is available today for $99.95 on Apple.com and at Apple Stores worldwide in the colors Ice, Onyx, and Space Gray. It's also available on Amazon in the United States. Prices vary by country.

Article Link: Pioneer Launches World's First Lightning-Powered Plug-and-Play Speaker

2. Tucom macrumors 65816

Tucom

Well they sure pioneered this product category. Oh oh OH!

K.

3. Dilster3k macrumors 6502a

Dilster3k

I really don't want to be ill-hearted here; but I really don't understand why this product exists... Especially at that price point.

4. Aston441 macrumors 65816

Pioneer, unlike Logipuke, has always had fantastic fidelity, along with the best support I've ever received from an audio company.

I will give this a try. I just wish the Echo had speaker phone capability. For some reason I can't fathom Amazon won't flip the switch to allow iPhone access to the microphone.

Does anyone know if the HomePod will have speaker phone capability? Because if it does, that's what will probably push me over the edge to try it out and possibly eventually ditch Amazon.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 20, 2017 ---
    Some of us have different needs. I need this.

5. hortod1 macrumors regular

hortod1

What's that thing between the phone and the speaker...? Oh, it's a cable? Weird, feels so... last year. I'll stick to Bluetooth.

6. ikir macrumors 65816

ikir

Pretty nice, the price maybe it is too high but I like the idea.

7. _Refurbished_ macrumors 68000

_Refurbished_

Man, I wish there was a wireless technology that did the same thing...oh wait...there is....and it's been around since before the original iPhone. It's called Bluetooth.

At $100, that's a very tough sell. I could see the appeal at $20.

8. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Pioneer is just another brand that lives on in name only. They were big in the 1970s, flagship receiver was the massive SX-1980, I had a SX-450, great sounding little thing. Beautiful aluminum face place, heavy tubing knob, solid construction, real glass used, etc

9. SoN1NjA macrumors 68000

SoN1NjA

10. jmh600cbr macrumors 6502a

jmh600cbr

Does the homepod? I immediately assumed it would.

11. Aston441 macrumors 65816

I couldn't find that info anywhere a few weeks ago. Do you have a link? Is it through Google Voice or can it just be used as a regular Bluetooth Speakerphone - and most importantly, how is the microphone/call quality at the other end of the conversation?

I spent $200 on a Bose Mini Soundlink II in hopes of having a decent speakerphone and the mic turned out to be garbage, making it useless as a speakerphone.

I know the Echo has great microphones, which is why it makes me crazy that Amazon won't let me use them for phone and conference calls.

12. benroberts3 macrumors member

The Google home will soon have the capability to make and receive calls. Later this year they will integrate your number into the device so the caller id shows up as you.

13. morcutt11 macrumors 6502

morcutt11

Pioneeer is still a company? Why not just plug it into the audio jack... oh wait... that's right.
    Doe it at least extend the lightning port by adding a lightning port on the "Ray Rally". And who named this thing anyway?
    --- Post Merged, Jun 20, 2017 ---
    Amen to that. I had a bunch of their gear in the late 70s, early 80's. Great stuff. Unfortunately the new stuff isn't the same. I purchased two of the "Elite" serious receivers over the last few years. Both ended up having problems. I just ended up going back to Yamaha, which never seems to disappoint me. Many manufacturers make cheap units, but when I'm spending well over $1000, I'd like to not have critical failures just after a year or so.

14. Aston441 macrumors 65816

Oh Yamaha. I totally forgot about Yamaha and I even have one of their pianos! I'm going to have to go check some of their stuff out.

15. jimmysalg macrumors member

In my opinion this is a cool product...I have a bunch of bluetooth speakers which I love. But being able to have this on my business travel bag is great and I don't have to worry about keeping it charged. There are many instances where a portable little speaker would be great for on demand conference calls. I don't disagree that maybe 99 is a bit much

16. weckart macrumors 601

Give it a couple of months and you will see similar at that price point or even lower from the usual suspects.

17. Zxxv macrumors 68040

18. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Even Yamaha's quality has gone down. They had nice build quality up until early 2000 when they switched to plastic for everything. Used to be nice blacked brushed aluminum and also beautiful silver faced gear in the 70s.

I guess all the vintage audio manufactures if they are still around make junk/low quality things. Look at Altec Lansing, JBL, Klipsch, Sony

19. sza Suspended

20. lantz0027 macrumors newbie

lantz0027

I agree in the consumer space, but Pioneer is the industry standard for DJ equipment.

21. Mac 128 macrumors 603

Mac 128

Too bad it can't be used with a Mac or PC, or any other audio source for that matter, as there's no adapter in existence to use it with anything but a Lightning equipped iOS device.​

22. Vanilla35, Jun 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2017

Vanilla35 macrumors 68040

Vanilla35

If this delivers crystal clear audio, I could see it being a huge advantage over terrible bluetooth quality. Other than that, this is a terrible product compared to alternatives that exist in the market already lol.

23. macaddiict macrumors regular

THIS!

People comparing this to a bluetooth speaker seem to be missing the point. It is a speakerphone you don't have to worry about keeping charged first and foremost and a speaker secondary (probably because people would complain if it didn't play music).

I work remotely and often have to struggle on the other end of a call with my boss who never thinks to be sure the audio setup is good for me as the lone remote person. If this gets good reviews, she will get one as a gift from me to save me from metaphorically squinting my ears every time work calls and throws me on a crappy speakerphone.

Anyone who says "yeah, but a lot of bluetooth speakers already have a speakerphone function LoL0lL111" probably haven't been on the other end of a call using a bluetooth speaker. Most of them have absolutely horrid quality.

24. Tucom, Jun 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2017

Tucom macrumors 65816

Tucom

Lol I never said it wasn't a cool product; I wasn't dissing it - I could care less about it; was just being silly for the sake of it. Lol no need to defend it. It's kind of cool, but hardly worth anything more than something novel vs. an actual dedicated speaker for actual performance, IMO.

But I agree, I can see the possible use cases.

25. Urban Joe Suspended

100.00 What a steal of a deal I'll take 25 and give them out for party favors.