Pipe Dream?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by TCrowe, Aug 29, 2014.

1. TCrowe macrumors member

TCrowe

I now have 4 domains and 3 blogs. That means I am paying quite a bit for hosting and I bet you can guess what this post is about. Home Server.

I am merely trying to get a basis to even think about servers at my home. I know it is done but I know 0 about php, my SQL. I know a little HTML but nothing to write home about.

That said I have read a little on the Softaculous Blog and am interested in servers. It was a leap in the 90's to get a PC so I thought I would consider another leap.Cautiously.

I am running a MacPro but I believe a server doesn't care what one is running. My wife has a Dell PC and they all run from the same Unix platform.

Well, that is all the knowledge I have as of now. Oh yeah, I know that to install a cPanel it MUST be a clean install. Does anyone say, "Forget it!"

2. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Having a home server will not reduce the cost of the domains, only the hosting costs. You could host it all on one provider with sub domains.

Running a server on a home internet connection might be prevented by your ISP terms of service. A business account may cost more than hosting elsewhere.

I prefer hosting externally as I don't want the problems of running a data center in my house. I also don't like opening up my LAN to the outside world more than necessary.

3. brand macrumors 601

brand

With a proper network design and configuration there is nothing to worry about.

4. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

Also consider the cost of running a computer 24/7 (also heat and noise), though of-course there are low power machines which you could buy to do the job.

Another major thing to consider is the upload speed of your internet connection and its latency, as anyone loading anything from your website(s) will be limited by it.

Realistically you will want a dedicated computer for your server and not a machine you use for day to day uses, preferably you would probably want to be running Linux or BSD, though you can make do with other OS's. An alternative you might want to consider is a VPS (Virtual Private Server) as depending on how much you are paying for hosting, that may be cheaper and it would give you complete control. Whilst not having to worry about running a server at your home on your home internet connection.

5. TCrowe thread starter macrumors member

TCrowe

Thank you for the replies. I did some research after I asked the question and realized that the server portion of it was a ridiculous path for me to take. I haven't the knowledge nor expertise to attempt that. Also I found that the "servers" were not what I thought. Just storage more than anything else.

So, I bought a WD 104 4TB server to grow my capacity and use for storage. The cost of actually purchasing the equipment for hosting is prohibitive especially when one factors my expertise to the dollar cost.

I had wondered if I had mistaken the terminology and I had which is why I came here. Good answers and thank you again. Now I need to ask what all I can do with the WD. I read that it comes with WordPress software installed among a huge package of other software which I found intriguing.

I guess I am having too much fun with all this web manipulation. Heck, if I knew a bit more I could probably be dangerous at 66 years old! Kind of like me having a Ferrari that will do 180 mph. Thank goodness I have a Jeep!

Attached Files:

6. TCrowe thread starter macrumors member

TCrowe

If you have the time would you take this a bit further. About set up and what it would take as to equipment and the cost, if you know the cost.

7. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

There's always something to worry about when you have machines facing the public. I'm sure JP Morgan Chase has more security expertise than the OP but it didn't keep them from getting hacked.

8. brand macrumors 601

brand

I am sure that somewhere they choose to same money that affected the design or configuration. Just because you are a big company does not mean that you do things right. To do things correctly cost money that business often don't want to spend when they can get buy for cheaper.