Piping all internet traffic (UDP+TCP) through a proxy?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AndrewOrtman, Jan 30, 2009.

1. AndrewOrtman macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a script that starts up a SSH tunnel with a dynamic tunnel on port 15005 and keeps it alive all the time.

My college dorm's internet tends to block some IP's, including those belonging to Xbox live during the evening and limits data transferred to and from youtube.com. I can view youtube now, but my real goal has been piping internet traffic from my xbox to my computer to a linux server I own (the one I have a tunnel set up with)

The xbox can communicate through my laptop, but unless I encrypt it and send it over through the proxy, the router here at school blocks it. Is there any program out there that can do this? I want to tunnel all internet traffic coming from the ethernet through a proxy connected on the airport.

I hope this makes sense,
    Thank you MacRumors!

Andrew Ortman

2. RobotBanana macrumors newbie

RobotBanana

Have you tried just entering your laptop's IP address and the port of the SSH tunnel as the proxy in the Xbox connection settings? Keep in mind you'd need to use the IP address of the laptop as it's assigned for the interface the Xbox is connected to. I know on a Windows PC the bridged connection's IP usually starts with 169. as opposed to the "regular" IP start of 192 for connections to the router.

Just throwin' the idea out there since it's worth a try. I don't know if you've attempted this yet or not. The main issue would probably be authentication; I don't know if the Xbox will be permitted to access the tunnel since it's not running on the actual laptop, even though it connects through it.

3. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Hi,
    well an SSH tunnel creates a TCP connection so you cannot tunnel UDP traffic through it. I know that tunelling UDP is difficult.

Tex