Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you pirate music or download via iTunes

• I pirate my music

Votes: 32 33.0%
  • I pay for my music

Votes: 79 81.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kopachris

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2007
under your bed
I use Limewire rarely and mostly for what I can't find on iTunes.
I heard bad stuff about Limewire... Anyway, my dad only used the iTunes Store once, and I have never used it. He only used it to get one album. I have searched through it and haven't found anything good...

needthephone

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2006
sydney
I buy cd's. I would never buy off itunes as 1) you get inferior compressed quality an 2) you loose the music when the computer crashes. I can't stand downloading illegally, I think people should be paid rather than ripped off. But I reckon having songs downloadable has increased legitimate sales as if someone likes a pirated download then it introduces them to an artist

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
I buy CDs online or in shops — I would like to buy more from iTunes, but the Classical section is a waste of time and seems to be mostly Greatest Hits or Charlotte Church compilations…

BADLY catalogued. Composers and artists jumbled around. Sometimes it seems like people who haven't a reasonable clue about music gets to catalogue and reference the stuff. And, oh yes, one more thing:

Not lossless. :mad:

So Amazon.co.uk is my friend… come to think of it, I spend far too much at Amazon. (I wonder if they have a Gold or Platinum membership? :p )

peletrane

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2007
Chicago, IL
I have thousands of CDs that I've bought over the years and mangaed to rip into iTunes, 175 GB so far. I feel bad that that they're collecting dust, as I mainly listen to music via 2 60 GB iPods, one devoted to jazz, the other to non-jazz.

I've surprisingly bought several hundreds of tunes from iTunes, never thought I'd do that, but many are for my cousin (he doesn't have an internet connection). Many of my own iTune purchases are "guilty pleasure" types. I actually spent some time to go over various playlists there. I've also downloaded tv shows from itunes.

Actually, you can find some interesting things for sale online that are not avialable in the brick and mortars. For exapmple, the trumpeter Dave Douglas was selling an entire week of his live shows from his website and I bought it. It wasn't as convenient as iTunes, but I managed to download it ok. I later found out that when I imported the non-itune purchased music into iTunes, I should have re-set it to "MP3" (everything else is defaulted to "AAC or MP4"), Hopefully, the sound quality didn't suffer.

The thing about buying CDs: for many years now, I'll go buy many of them from used Record stores Who the hell wants to spend $20 for a cd when you can find it used for $7-10??

Also: I find that if I want to listen to something new and am unsure about purchasing it, I may sometimes find it at the local library, particularly European classical music, which I don't know a lot about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.