Pismo 3 Beeps - RAM or other?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lumpy211, Nov 20, 2009.

1. lumpy211 macrumors newbie

So I've had a Pismo Powerbook for a few years and it's been running OS X 10.4. Last February the computer began to lock up and become non-responsive. When I tried to reboot it it would beep 3 times. I was able to diagnose this as a RAM issue when Googling around and at the time wasn't willing to spend money to replace the RAM.

Now I've got a bit more income (just a little) and I'm willing to shell out a few bucks for some more RAM (after I talk to the wifey about it ;) ). I got the Pismo out today after 8 months and it worked fine for about half an hour or so, then locked up and beeped three times powering on. After fooling around with the RAM sticks, reseating and/or removing individual sticks, I've found out that I can get the computer to boot at least into Open Firmware (each individual stick isn't enough to boot OS X completely). But with each stick, I still have an eventual lockup in OF, so it seems both sticks are bad.

My question is, how likely is it that both RAM sticks have suddenly failed? Before I shell out $30+ for a 512 MB stick, I want to be sure that it is indeed a RAM issue and not a problem with the RAM bus or even the logic board. What's the failure rate on the bus? Does the fact that it's beeping three times mean that the bus should be fine since it is indeed detecting the RAM (1 beep means there's no RAM)?

Also, while still discussing this topic, if I do decide to buy some more RAM does anybody know if this would work in a Pismo? There's so many options for PC100 SODIMM that I want to make sure that I'm getting the right stuff.

Thanks!

2. Macdctr macrumors regular

It does sound like you have a memory problem (RAM modules). If you had a logic board problem then you wouldn't be able to change your symptoms....it would be a fail as soon as you powered on your Pismo. As for the link it looks like this should work on your Pismo. I have two 512 modules and have been using this for quite some time in my Pismo. Hope my reply helps GL :apple:!