Pismo Dying or Dead ???

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Fishtalk, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Fishtalk, Nov 23, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2010

Fishtalk macrumors regular

Recently my Pismo will only boot 1 out of every 10 times .And when it finally does boot it'll only stay up and running for a Max of 10 minutes before it freeze's (some times it crashes in the middle of the boot)
    Then it wont boot at all ( hard disc wirrr but black screen) unless I leave it for a couple of days.... When it does boot I get a window saying the Date and time are not correct... Main battery has been dead for years. So... Could it be the RAM battery thats causing the problem... or the Ram its self...or maybe the HD. ( I don't have any extra RAM to try replacing the one in there.)
    Any suggestions welcome.
    Thanks
    PS. As said my main battery has been dead as Do Do for years...
    Can I boot from AC power with the PRAM battery unplugged.
    And could I run the Pismo more or less "normally" without a PRAM battery ?

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

My guess is your PRAM battery is dead, but here is a guide for troubleshooting it.

3. Fishtalk thread starter macrumors regular

Ok I'll answer the questions My self.... it it helps any body out there.
    Yup you can boot with a dead main battery and the PRAM battery unplugged.
    and leave it unplugged.....And Whoooopeeee! My old pismo had been up and running for the past hour... 'aint crashed yet.

4. g4 powerbookboy macrumors regular

the pismo should be fine, had one like that before i got by first gen tibook worked like that for a year then sold it and he is still using it

5. Fishtalk thread starter macrumors regular

Strange .... Left the pismo unplugged over night.... tried to reboot and got the same as before Grey apple screen but no twirling thing.... Crashed it off and tried again.... Black screen ( with wirring). Crashed it off again and re-pluuged the PRAM battery.... Black screen ( wirring noise) crashed it off again and unplugged the PRAM battery... Then it booted normally as has been running for the past 2 hours.... I suppose if I "just" put it to sleep and not turn it off completly.... it'll keep working ???????
    Now its running should I re plug the PRAM battery?