Pismo G4 Upgrade heat sink question

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by ziggy29, Mar 22, 2015.

1. ziggy29 macrumors regular

I'm pretty tech-savvy but I don't know the answer to this one. I have a Pismo upgraded to a G4/550 (I'm writing this post with it and TFF 31.5.0). I'm wanting to help it run cooler and such, and I have some AS5 to apply. Actually, I already did apply it once and it's helping, but I wonder if something about this upgrade card needs, well, help.

I don't know the name of it, but there's a plastic square around the CPU -- like a collar -- with screw holes where you can screw the heat sink in to keep good contact between CPU and heat sink. But here's the thing -- that plastic "collar" has separated from the CPU daughtercard, and it remains attached to the heat sink through its screws. My thinking is that this prevents the tight seal between heat sink and CPU that helps keep the CPU cooler. This plastic "collar" should be attached to the daughtercard, right? If so, would something like super glue be sufficient (and safe) to reattach it around the CPU to the card so that when I screw the heat sink back into it, a tighter bond forms and helps the heat dissipate away from the CPU?

2. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

3. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I just had my Pismo completely apart yesterday(down to the bare case bottom), and can say that at least on a stock 500mhz, there's no such "guard" around the CPU. The only time I've seen something of the sort is on a Gigadesign dual 1.8 Quicksilver upgrade, which has a sort of foam rubber surrounding each CPU.

In any case, the single most important thing you can do to keep the CPU cool and happy is to ensure as good of contact as possible between the heatsink and the CPU die. IMO, Pismos are probably over-engineered as far as cooling for G3s(which tend to run relatively cool-even the 466mhz Clamshell doesn't have a fan and just uses a thin metal heatsink), although I won't complain because a cool CPU is a happy CPU. Even so, if this plastic piece to which you're referring is interfering with contact between the heatsink and CPU, I'd be inclined to remove it completely.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Do not remove that guard. It is a required part when used on PowerPC processors. Removing it can result in a crushed die, shorted out CPU, or damaged CPU sub-components.

5. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

And, in light of Intell's statement, I retract my earlier comment about removing it.