Pismo hard drive IDE / PATA ?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by MysterMac, Mar 7, 2012.

1. MysterMac macrumors member

A friends old Pismo Powerbook recently gave up the ghost and we'd like to salvage the contents of the hard drive (20GB).

I had an old external chassis (for 3.5" IDE drives) and the connectors dont match up (although they are very similar). It's been so long since I used IDE/PATA that I cant remember what fits what in terms of desktop/portable - so ....

As I dont have a 2.5" external chassis -

should I try to find an IDE to SATA adaptor ? (and get a new portable SATA chassis that I can use in future)
    or ..
    try to find an old IDE/PATA portable chassis just to salvage the data on the drive.
    I do have an original AppleTV (160GB) that is PATA I believe, but doubt it will help in this scenario ...

Please let me know if there's anything obvious I'm forgetting (it's been a long time!) Any help would be much appreciated, cheers !

2. skinniezinho macrumors 6502a

3. MysterMac thread starter macrumors member

ahh brilliant, thanks a lot ! and will only cost a quid :)

4. MysterMac thread starter macrumors member

The adaptor arrived but unfortunately no disk appeared in OSX, I'm convinced the hard drive is ok though as I tried another drive of the same type.

I tried fitting the adaptor both ways (just in case) but still no joy. The drive itself seems to be not powering up (no noise) despite attaching the power connector on the chassis (and the "power on" light being lit on the chassis).

Anyone got any ideas ?

The chassis is a usb2 and firewire 400 type for 3.5 inch ide drives. Connected to mains power and using the usb port rather than firewire (my macbook has no firewire).