Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baxterbrittle

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2005
If you use the pcmcia slot will target mode be enabled then?

No - I think they need a "new world" ROM or some such. Either way it only works for macs with built in FW. I'm pretty sure that it doesn't work in the G3 BW either as the logic board in those is basically carried over from the beige G3's but with FW tacked on - correct me if I'm wrong (I've never owned a BW - pretty much the only PPC mac I haven't owned).

Anyway I like the wallstreet because they are more solidly built - plus I like scsi and a combo FW/USB pcmcia is never to far away. Pismo feels flimsy by comparison but is quite a bit lighter. If I needed one today I'd probably go the wallstreet.

Oh and on a slight downer note:
The Pismo had major problems too, same as every model Apple has made. The pismo has issues with the battery failing and the optical drives (LG model) has pretty big issues. More recently the power/sound boards have a strong tendancy to fail. I guess what I'm saying here is that none of Apple machines have been perfect but they are still very good - there are just some duds out there. Thing is we tend to forget the problems with time.

princealfie

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 7, 2006
Salt Lake City UT
No - I think they need a "new world" ROM or some such. Either way it only works for macs with built in FW. I'm pretty sure that it doesn't work in the G3 BW either as the logic board in those is basically carried over from the beige G3's but with FW tacked on - correct me if I'm wrong (I've never owned a BW - pretty much the only PPC mac I haven't owned).

Anyway I like the wallstreet because they are more solidly built - plus I like scsi and a combo FW/USB pcmcia is never to far away. Pismo feels flimsy by comparison but is quite a bit lighter. If I needed one today I'd probably go the wallstreet.

The Pismo had major problems too, same as every model Apple has made. The pismo has issues with the battery failing and the optical drives (LG model) has pretty big issues. More recently the power/sound boards have a strong tendancy to fail. I guess what I'm saying here is that none of Apple machines have been perfect but they are still very good - there are just some duds out there. Thing is we tend to forget the problems with time.

That's why I get them used off ebay... so that all of the problems tend to be ironed out over time.

macg4

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
Des Moines,Iowa
the main issue with the wallstreets is the pmu boards seem to fail...ive had at least 3 wallstreets where the pmu boards failed and i had to replace...it gets costly...dont get me wrong i love the wallstreets, but after having 2 pismos, its pismso for me !

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005

It's true. the LG DVD drive was pretty terrible, but easily replaced. My first battery lasted over 2 years before it failed. I replaced the LG drive with another used LG drive and sometimes I need to bang it to get it going, but it usually starts then...almost charming, but only because it's so old. Still, I think the Pismo was one of the best laptops made and comparatively few serious problems.

princealfie

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 7, 2006
Salt Lake City UT
It's true. the LG DVD drive was pretty terrible, but easily replaced. My first battery lasted over 2 years before it failed. I replaced the LG drive with another used LG drive and sometimes I need to bang it to get it going, but it usually starts then...almost charming, but only because it's so old. Still, I think the Pismo was one of the best laptops made and comparatively few serious problems.

Then why is the LG Chocolate phone so popular if they are failures? ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.