Pissed...can't make up my mind (13" Ultimate Air vs Loaded rMBP)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ckeck, Jun 18, 2012.

1. ckeck macrumors 6502a

ckeck

Story of my life...and sorry if this is too similar to some other posts but needed to vent and get opinions on one thing...

Picked up a rMBP to try it out on day 1 so I've been using it for about a week now. I love the sharp/crisp nature of the retina display and the quality of the IPS panel vs the older displays...BUT I cannot stand the 1440x900 resolution (on this size screen anyways). Sure, I can raise the resolution but then I'm losing out on some of the benefit in the first place and like others I'm noticing some performance issues/lagginess when scrolling in certain apps. It's not terrible but I'd rather not see it.

My big problem is that I'm starting to travel quite a bit and even though I don't often have significant downtime I do like to game from time to time. A few newer games like D3/SC2 but mostly older games that will never be updated for retina. As you might have guessed GPU is always a big factor for me but based on what I'm reading about the gaming performance and visuals in most games, especially older games it seems most of the nVidia 650M's power is lost to simply running the display.

I did try a 2011 13" MBA and I grew to LOVE the size but again, always concerned about the GPU and the 256GB SSD in the older version was a deal breaker. I also couldn't ge the elusive Samsung display / Samsung SSD combo.

So now I've got to make a choice...I'm coming from a long line of 15" MBP so I'm used to the weight/size but certainly wouldn't mind cutting down a bit. The footprint of the retina certainly isn't smaller.

In front of me I've got:

• Retina MBP 8GB/512GB (demo unit to be returned)
    • 2012 13" Ultimate MBA 8GB/512GB (Samsung/Samsung)
    • Boxed Retina MBP 16GB/512GB SSD (just arrived today)

Thoughts/opinions/feedback? One thing I'm curious about is how much better we can expect Apple to make the performance of the retina display/GPU with future software updates.

Appreciate the time and help.

*Note: I don't make it a habit to buy computers with the intention to return them but the demo retina I picked up was because the HDD in my late-2011 MBP flat out died the other day and they didn't have the part to replace it in store and I needed a machine for a few days.

2. ckeck thread starter macrumors 6502a

ckeck

3. djmoody macrumors regular

You are the reason there are 4 week shipping delays.

4. BJonson macrumors 6502a

BJonson

I'm taking my MBA back to the apple store for a refund today because the screen is so horrible but its not a samsung screen. The viewing angles are atrocious. There is literally only one spot you can look at the screen at or its washed out. Was a nice computer though. I think the IPS display of the rMBP might be the solid point to keep it. I am going back to my trusty 2008 macbook pro for now until I can decide for sure. I have a rMBP on order but with a month out I have plenty of time to cancel.

5. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

If you are pissed, I would suggest sobering up before making a purchasing decision. Making decisions about how to spend your money or about your love life whilst pissed never turn out well.

6. ckeck thread starter macrumors 6502a

ckeck

Just ordered one online and that is the one I'm deciding whether or not to keep =\

----------

Well not "pissed" per say...just hate being in this situation where there is so much gray area. Make's the decision so difficult. Seems like I have to screw myself in one form or another on this one (lack of GPU or poor GPU perf. in games and in higher resolution due to retina display).

7. djmoody macrumors regular

Or you couldve made your decision based on the retina you did have since your biggest gripe was the screen.

8. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Sorry, you have an 8GB retina MBP that you're not sure about, so you bought another one with 16GB for what exactly? AND an MBA? Seems like you have the money to do as you wish, and since you've got multiple computers available to you (unlike most of us), the whole "you know what's best for you" only rings even more true. There's nothing you'll get from us that will help you choose a laptop to suit you.

9. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

OP....I'm going back and forth myself trying to decide between the 13" Air and the MBPr. Came to the conclusion last night that there is probably not going to be a perfect solution here for me. Like the portability, size, and price of the Air and like the screen real estate and power of the Pro.

Just got to decide which trade off you can most live without.

10. ckeck thread starter macrumors 6502a

ckeck

I had pre-ordered the 16GB model before I picked this one up. I'm not going to open it unless I decide to stick with the retina MBP. So if I do need to return it, at least it won't be open box.

See above regarding the multiple machines. Regardless of how much money I have, I am definitely open to feedback which is why I came here with questions. Not sure why you wish to come off that way. I asked a specific question about what others thought Apple could to do optimize the retina graphics issues with scaling and game play via software in the future.

For the record, I don't have tons of recreational cash laying around, just enough to pick up two machines temporarily to compare. Thanks for trying to help, in your own way :p

11. jburns macrumors regular

Here is something it took me an embarrassing number of years to figure out. The reason you are having trouble deciding is that either one of them will be fine for what you need and want. Humans are funny. We spend an inordinate amount of time on decisions that really don't matter. Basically the harder it is to choose between two options the less the choice matters, yet the more time we agonize over it. Pick one and don't look back.

12. maratus macrumors 6502a

maratus

You guys are funny, to me IPS is a no brainer.

13. ckeck thread starter macrumors 6502a

ckeck

Part of why this is so hard is because there are compelling things about both of them and the fact that I've yet to see very many definitive responses...like this one.

----------

I think you're right :eek:

14. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Absolutely. Honestly if I could have found a MBPr in stock by now this all probably would be over.

15. Jasoco macrumors 6502

Ugh, I'm in this same exact boat.

The only thing that kept me from running to the store day one to get a Retina Pro is the screen size and 1.5lb extra weight.

You don't think 1.5lb would be that much more until you feel it. Fortunately there's an easy way for me to tell. I have an Air right now. The 15" RPro is 1.5lb more. My iPad is 1.5lb. So I can just lift my iPad and Air together to get an idea of the weight. Now, I moved to an Air from a 13" Pro and now the Pro feels soooo much heavier. So going back to only 1lb less than that model is kind of a turnoff.

As for the screen size, I dunno. I also never liked 15" displays on laptops. To me the 13" is the best size.

Now, of course the things that make me consider it at all are the speed and the display. That's pretty much it. The really awesome graphics card, and the resolution. But then again, there's the lack of Retina ready apps.

Because of that, I am probably just going to stick with a new souped up high end Air (256GB SSD instead of 512 though.) for now. A 13" Retina Pro will come along eventually. Rumors are this year though which I hate because, if it were still a year away I'd not care, but being a few months from now, I can't wait, but hate that I'd be buying so soon before a potential release. Then again, the longer you wait to go Retina, the more apps will be updated for it.

I'll have to play with it in person first though. Unfortunately the closest Apple Store's to me are an hour and a half away in both directions.

16. PeopleTheseDays macrumors regular

How come you don't like the hi res 1440 x 900 mode of the rMBP when the Air is the exact same resolution?

17. ckeck thread starter macrumors 6502a

ckeck

Great question...on the 13.3" display the 1440x900 seems fitting. I wish it was a bit higher here as well but it fits whereas on a 15.4" display it feels a bit like running 1024x768 on a 19"+ monitor. Everything is just too big and bulky and while text is crisp you can tell there is a lot left to be desired.

The scaled up resolutions look great but then you get the performance hit (lag in scrolling/app switching and a bit less retina quality...so what's the point?). It STILL looks nice, my main concern in the performance issue that I'm curious if software updates can address.

18. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Definately definately definately keep the Retina MacBook pro.

Don't be ridiculous.

The MacBook Air is nothing in comparison.

Dont be silly.

19. ckeck thread starter macrumors 6502a

ckeck

[​IMG]

20. PeopleTheseDays macrumors regular

Hmm, I understand what you mean. I don't really like big text and icons too, but I don't necessarily think my 09 Mbp 15 looks like 1024x768 though...have you seen the Mbp 13? Everything is huge!

The performance hit while scaling was extremely disappointing when I was testing out the rMBP. Not sure how people tolerate it honestly, the smoothness of os x and the iPhone are a big factor in why I use them.

Wish they had made a 1920 x 1200 anti glare panel available for the 15. I think you should get the Air now and just wait till next years rMBP and let them work out the kinks now.

21. OSMac macrumors 65816

My vote is for the Air, the retina is nice but its just too big unless its going to be used on a desk most of the time.

22. inaka macrumors 6502

Of the two choices you listed, I would definitely go with the 13" MacBook Pro. :D

23. ckeck thread starter macrumors 6502a

ckeck

Clearly ;)

24. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

I'm sorry, where did you "pre-order" a retina MBP? You knew the retina MBP was coming in advance somehow?

Wow. You bought a $2k+ computer knowing in advance that you'd return it. Then you bought 2 more? And whats wrong with visiting the Apple store and trying the computers they have there?

First world problems are a b**** aren't they?

25. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Yeah the MacBook Air is for girls. Too flimsy. Bezel is annoying. Small screen.

And it's not like the Retina MBP isn't near Air size. Best of both worlds..

How is this an issue. The whole resolution thing is all in your mind.

If you say you can't, you will make it true. You CAN. Just trust me. Trust yourself.