Pissed off (need photo editing software)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Wayne s, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Wayne s macrumors regular

I like my new iMac, but, now I have no photo editing software that works with it.

Photoshop elements is now consigned to the bin. Paint shop pro is no more an option. I life is OK but has no real functionality.

God I am good at whining.

Any free apps out there that can save my marriage .

2. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

You could maybe take a look at GIMP, an open source image editor-type app.

3. Aranince macrumors 65816

4. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Umm... Photoshop Elements, Pixelmator, Acorn, DrawIt... to name a few. iPhoto too, but that may be too basic?

5. Hmac macrumors 68020

Photoshop Elements 4.0 is available for the Mac for $79. If you call Adobe, they might let you upgrade to the Mac version for $59. I upgraded cross-platform with Premiere a year or so ago.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Wait, I'm sorry, but are you saying that PSE is "consigned to the bin" because it is not running for you in Leopard or because you have a Windows copy?

7. spinne1 macrumors 6502a

spinne1

You get what you pay for. Try GraphicConverter. It is not free, but it will function fully albeit with a delay at startup before you can use it. It is a good program.

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/263

8. Wayne s thread starter macrumors regular

My PSE is a few years old and won,t run on my Alu mac. Is there any way to run Windows from a Toshiba recovery DVD.

9. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

What's that in the FAQ about making thread titles descriptive? Then again, it got me in...

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Doubtful. The so-called recovery DVDs they give you hardly function on the actual computer they came with. I can't see them allowing you to run windows from your mac that way.
    All things considering look at the OP. Pissed off that Windows software won't run on his/her mac that most likely doesn't have Windows installed. :rolleyes:

To the OP. As others have pointed out there are photo editing software programs available for the Mac, both free and not so free. (Free legit not the torrent recommendation from the tool above) I would say as with many of us who came from a Windows environment that there will definitely be some expense to you in order to get certain apps running that you need/want on the Mac platform. All of this has also been reduced though now that Windows can run on a Mac. For me my switch to Windows to a PPC Mac required purchases such as Photoshop and a new Finance-tracking application. Among other things. Don't be pissed, just be patient.

11. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Whaaaat? The 'king of graphics machines' doesn't come with any halfway decent graphics software installed with functionality beyond what I can freely download on a Windows machine? You don't say?

*evil grin*

I like Graphicconverter for what it does, but it is more of a mass editor / organiser than a dedicated photoshop-esque tool. I don't know how much work has been done to Gimp as of late, but around nine months ago I still found it unusable for all but the most dedicated "I have no money for CS so I'm going to have to use this" persevere-r.

There's nothing that Pixelmator doesn't do that many other free apps do, but the difference is the way it does it. It does feel a lot more of a Mac app than many others and for most people the functionality should be enough.

I'd say if you don't want to splash out a ton of money it's a toss-up between Pixelmator and Graphicconverter depending on which element of image editing you focus more on.

12. Wayne s thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the help, going to try a few of those suggestions tonight.

Will most likely end up buying a newer version of Photoshop at some point.

Cheers.

Wayne.

13. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-Wayne s

You could probably get a discount by crossgrading your license.

14. spinne1 macrumors 6502a

spinne1

Another thing you might consider: do what I did. Years ago I bought a used copy of Photoshop 3.0 for Mac off ebay that was unregistered and contained the original serial numbers and such. As such I was the legitimate owner of such product. Fast forward to my frustration trying to run Photoshop 3.0 on Panther. I finally went to Adobe's web site and looked into an upgrade. I found that the upgrade cost was $169 (I think) for previous version owners. I entered my 3.0 serial number and voila! I was able to buy Photoshop CS2 for $169. I would never have bought it at full retail price because I do not earn a living using Photoshop. I am simply a person who likes to process my own photos using it rather than iPhoto or the like. I like the power when I need it. But at that price I was willing to buy it.

Scour ebay for older Mac versions that are from original owners who legimately own the serial number and who have not upgraded.

15. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Most pro photogs use macs, and you can't find anything to work with it?

Geeez.

Use Aperture/LR, and PS like everyone else.

16. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Sorry for the OT here - but - Mcarnes - your avatar confuses me.

Is that a wig on a wig-stand?

A red-headed chic with a small face and neck?

Or an 8bit phallus going into a nice, red caboose?

17. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Sigh. Japanese house in front of a red sunset. If you see something else, see your shrink. :)

18. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

19. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

I just saw a mushroom cloud... but now you say it, yes, I can see that :)

20. piltupso macrumors regular

Not to go off on too much of a tangent but how does pixelmator compare to GIMP I have been trying to learn GIMP and it is a royal pain, though GIMP seems to have lots of features. I am trying to use it for post production of 3d images I am creating with Blender rather than digital photography images if that makes any difference.

21. Wayne s thread starter macrumors regular

I never said that I could not find any thing to work with it.

22. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Even I had to think about buying CS just for casual use, which is all the use I have for photos - and I spend hundreds of thousands on IT gear/services a year. Fact is, for a machine trumpeted as a media computer it doesn't come with anything you don't grow out of pretty darned quickly and after that, options aren't necessarily hugely superior to what is available on 'the dark side'.

23. Wayne s thread starter macrumors regular

If iPhoto had a few more options for editing pictures then I would be happy with it.