Pisses me off that you cannot have headphones plugged in while using the internal speakers.....

Discussion in 'iMac' started by scaramoosh, Aug 20, 2017.

1. scaramoosh macrumors 6502a

All the time with Apple devices you find these weird restrictions that make no sense. If I use a Windows PC that you built, oh look you can just use the software and switch between... Apple... NOPE!

I hate having to unplug them just to get built in audio... I thought Apple was meant to be a media editing king? This is a glaring omission.

2. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

This has been the case with iMacs for many years now, and I agree it's annoying. Not even a hardware restriction, but something low-level in the MacOS. Maybe an attempt to simplify the audio output for novice users, but that's the only excuse I can come up with.

The way around it is to get a USB DAC, which will show up as a separate output.

3. Glideslope macrumors 603

Glideslope

Get an inexpensive USB to Headphone adapter on Amazon. That will solve your Boot Camp sound issues. :apple:

4. ninja2000 macrumors 6502

It actually works fine in bootcamp, you select audio device. It's only OS X, drives me insane as well

5. opeter macrumors 65816

opeter

6. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

You'd think so, but no. It only lists a single out, which says either "Internal Speakers" or "Headphones" depending if you have anything connected to the line out. (Screenshot is from a Late 2006 iMac, but this applies to every iMac made afterward as well.)
    Audio-out.png
    The USB DAC is the only way around this in MacOS for standard headphones, as far as I know. That will show up separately.

7. Glideslope macrumors 603

Glideslope

Interesting. I have an extension that runs from the back of my 2017 iMac. I plug in headphones, or my external sound system with no issues. I just select Headphones for everything in preferences. :apple:

8. opeter macrumors 65816

opeter

Thanks, didn't know that.

Anyway, if one would use external speakers and a headphone, audio splitter like this should work:
    [​IMG]

9. scaramoosh thread starter macrumors 6502a

The problem is Apple's Airplay is CRAP! It has a latency of like 2 seconds and so it just completely breaks it for anything other than Music. So wireless is out of the question and I have to use plugged in headphones and Switch between internal speakers and headphones without unplugging the headphones.

There is no way around it, my headphones are optical and not analogue.

I think this is the last Apple product I buy tbh, I've bought a crap ton of their products and they always have massive issues. Meanwhile on Android or Windows I can easily just customise them to how I want. Frigging Apple TV is the worst mistake I've bought... I haven't used it the thing is so bad, I expected it to support 4K in 2016... no...

10. RadioGaGa1984 Suspended

RadioGaGa1984

Thank God. Maybe the EU can tell you what to purchase next then you’ll be all set.

11. campyguy macrumors 68040

There's two means to the end of what you're seeking, OP. Futz around with Core Audio as I have - a real PITA - or pony up $10 for a license of Rogue Amoeba's SoundSource (https://rogueamoeba.com/soundsource/).

12. Glideslope macrumors 603

Glideslope

Agreed. Prolly time to leave. Enjoy the trip. ;)

13. BlueTide macrumors member

BlueTide

Not sure if this works for this, but you're not losing anything for checking this one out. Look at "Audio MIDI Setup" and create an aggregate audio device. That just might, might be able to route the sound to both outputs at the same time. I used this for other reasons and haven't checked your use case.

14. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

Reply #8 above has the cheap 'n' easy solution...