Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scaramoosh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
All the time with Apple devices you find these weird restrictions that make no sense. If I use a Windows PC that you built, oh look you can just use the software and switch between... Apple... NOPE!

I hate having to unplug them just to get built in audio... I thought Apple was meant to be a media editing king? This is a glaring omission.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
This has been the case with iMacs for many years now, and I agree it's annoying. Not even a hardware restriction, but something low-level in the MacOS. Maybe an attempt to simplify the audio output for novice users, but that's the only excuse I can come up with.

The way around it is to get a USB DAC, which will show up as a separate output.

Reactions: colodane

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
All the time with Apple devices you find these weird restrictions that make no sense. If I use a Windows PC that you built, oh look you can just use the software and switch between... Apple... NOPE!

I hate having to unplug them just to get built in audio... I thought Apple was meant to be a media editing king? This is a glaring omission.

Get an inexpensive USB to Headphone adapter on Amazon. That will solve your Boot Camp sound issues. :apple:

Reactions: colodane

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Wait, but you can switch between audio outputs in MacOS too?!

https://www.imore.com/how-instantly-switch-audio-sources-os-x
You'd think so, but no. It only lists a single out, which says either "Internal Speakers" or "Headphones" depending if you have anything connected to the line out. (Screenshot is from a Late 2006 iMac, but this applies to every iMac made afterward as well.)
Audio-out.png

The USB DAC is the only way around this in MacOS for standard headphones, as far as I know. That will show up separately.

Reactions: Dc2006ster

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
It actually works fine in bootcamp, you select audio device. It's only OS X, drives me insane as well

Interesting. I have an extension that runs from the back of my 2017 iMac. I plug in headphones, or my external sound system with no issues. I just select Headphones for everything in preferences. :apple:

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
You'd think so, but no. It only lists a single out, which says either "Internal Speakers" or "Headphones" depending if you have anything connected to the line out. (Screenshot is from a Late 2006 iMac, but this applies to every iMac made afterward as well.)

The USB DAC is the only way around this in MacOS for standard headphones, as far as I know. That will show up separately.

Thanks, didn't know that.

Anyway, if one would use external speakers and a headphone, audio splitter like this should work:
gry6I0X.png

scaramoosh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
Interesting. I have an extension that runs from the back of my 2017 iMac. I plug in headphones, or my external sound system with no issues. I just select Headphones for everything in preferences. :apple:

The problem is Apple's Airplay is CRAP! It has a latency of like 2 seconds and so it just completely breaks it for anything other than Music. So wireless is out of the question and I have to use plugged in headphones and Switch between internal speakers and headphones without unplugging the headphones.

There is no way around it, my headphones are optical and not analogue.

I think this is the last Apple product I buy tbh, I've bought a crap ton of their products and they always have massive issues. Meanwhile on Android or Windows I can easily just customise them to how I want. Frigging Apple TV is the worst mistake I've bought... I haven't used it the thing is so bad, I expected it to support 4K in 2016... no...

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
The problem is Apple's Airplay is CRAP! It has a latency of like 2 seconds and so it just completely breaks it for anything other than Music. So wireless is out of the question and I have to use plugged in headphones and Switch between internal speakers and headphones without unplugging the headphones.

There is no way around it, my headphones are optical and not analogue.

I think this is the last Apple product I buy tbh, I've bought a crap ton of their products and they always have massive issues. Meanwhile on Android or Windows I can easily just customise them to how I want. Frigging Apple TV is the worst mistake I've bought... I haven't used it the thing is so bad, I expected it to support 4K in 2016... no...

Agreed. Prolly time to leave. Enjoy the trip. ;)

Reactions: Foxglove9

BlueTide

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2007
Silicon Valley, CA
Not sure if this works for this, but you're not losing anything for checking this one out. Look at "Audio MIDI Setup" and create an aggregate audio device. That just might, might be able to route the sound to both outputs at the same time. I used this for other reasons and haven't checked your use case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.