Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DLyman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 2, 2009
Rockford, IL
I have two MagSafe chargers that I bought before knowing that they will leave rings on your cases. I just put my 12PM with the Pitaka Air case on the MagSafe charger to see how fast it charged. I left it on for 15 minutes and checked the battery %. Then I looked at the case on the phone. It had the ring already, after just 15 minutes. It wiped off and is now gone, but it just served as a reminder to me to leave these MagSafe chargers alone and not use them. Just FYI, had to vent a little bit. Back into the drawer these chargers are going.

ETA: With all these things going on with the MagSafe chargers and how the leather cases are from Apple now, to the humorous way people are taking sandpaper and Mr. clean wipes to these leather cases I'm almost wishing that I just stuck with my XS Max for another generation longer to see if things improved.

Last edited:

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
If you are that worried about the "residue" wouldn't a little saran wrap or something over the magsafe puck be a simple and easy solution?

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
I’m not “worried”. I’m thinking the best solution is to stick with my Qi chargers.
If you've got-em that absolutely works! I have an old "Yootech" stand-style QI charger that I used with my old Pixel 4XL that still works great at my desk. For places such as my car or bedside, I like the extra "stickyness" of the Magsafe puck. But I'm not sensitive WRT any residue nor have I experienced it.

Another option for you might be a third party magsafe "compatible" option. I have a ravpower puck off amazon that is basically a 7.5w QI charger + magnets in the magsafe geometry. It is all black, I've not seen any residue, comes with a wall charger and is cheap! (great for guest bedroom downstairs)

Reactions: DLyman

shady16

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2019
its the metal ring the magsafe puck has, i use the belkin 3 in 1 and it doesn't leave the ring. if they had used a softer material like belkin used it wouldn't be an issue

Reactions: DLyman
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.