Pitfalls of Using Migration Assistant?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Silverstring, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Silverstring macrumors member

I used to run with two computers (iMac and MBA), now I'm considering simplifying and going down to a new MBP only.

When starting up a new Mac, I notice it gives you the option to "Transfer Your Information From Another Mac", which I assume is Migration Assistant. I have never used it before.

Does it make the new Mac EXACTLY like the old one? Things like Dashboard Widgets, documents associations, drive names, software settings, installed printers, etc? I hope to essentially "duplicate" my iMac on the new MBP, with as little setup time as possible. Software settings/preferences is my main concern. For example, the way I have iTunes set up with the iMac. I keep all my media on an external drive, with SuperDuper set up nightly to clone it to another. I want to keep play counts/playlists, I want new imported music to go on the external drive, etc. I have RipIt put new DVD imports on the external drive. I have Awaken set up with all of my daily Alarms. Does this stuff come over?

Is there anything to watch out for? Anything it doesn't bring over? Is this the best way to do things?

Both machines are running 10.6.3 and have identical hard drive sizes, if that matters, so there should be no problems with bringing over incompatible software, etc.

I'm just a little reluctant to dive in with something I've never used before, especially since I'm hoping to box up the iMac and sell it.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Yes. However, you should do a clean install on the target machine first.

Yes.

I'd use Carbon Copy Cloner instead, but either one will work.