Pitting on MBP even with speck case? (pics)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by msriotdoll, May 4, 2011.

1. msriotdoll, May 4, 2011
    Last edited: May 4, 2011

msriotdoll macrumors member

I've had my MBP since Nov 2010 and its lived in a speck case the whole time.
    I clean it every month to get any junk that might slip in and I recently noticed that my case is pitting on the edges by the front and the bottom of the case.
    I know the pitting is supposed to happen due to the oils and ph of the skin so how's it possible to be happening in areas where no skin touches it at all?
    The top case were the hands rest have no pitting and food doesn't get stuck on the bottom of the case either. Thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. jdwagner888 macrumors regular

i never heard of this, can you clarify with maybe a picture of what pitting looks like?

3. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

This is why I don't like that type of case. Two of my friends computers live in speck cases and display the same thing you are describing.

4. Criticalmass macrumors member

Criticalmass

My guess would be trapped humidity/acidity.

5. msriotdoll thread starter macrumors member

so if you have it in case it will pit but if you don't it will pit. So either way the finish on the new MBP's suck. I've owned a couple MBP's and 4 powerbooks and this has never happened to them.
    Also the top of the laptop has no pitting.
    So you think i should take it out of the case then?

6. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

my 17" and 15" have had incase and speck hardshell cases on them since purchase and I have absolutely no marks .

Not saying they aren't the cause, just saying my experience. I think it might be something else.

7. aiqw9182 macrumors 65816

That's nothing compared to what the pre-unibody MBP's could look like:

[​IMG]

8. msriotdoll thread starter macrumors member

I've had powerbooks and never had pitting issues.. thats crazy
    I'd be so pissed if that happened to my laptop.

9. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

I haven't seen pitting on any of my macbook pros and I've never kept them in a case. I use the laptop, when it's time to be put away i throw it inside its sleeve. Guess I just never saw the usefulness of a case... i don't think it's going to protect your mac if you drop it off your desk... just put it in a sleeve for protection when transporting it!

10. sandylp macrumors regular

sandylp

It could be moisture getting trapped between the case and your mbp or whatever you are using to clean it. There are some cleaners that can pit aluminum.

11. msriotdoll thread starter macrumors member

the only cleaner i use is iklear. I believe thats what apple sells and recommends as a cleaner for their products.

12. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

The speck cases are not hermetically sealed to the macbook pro, so dust and particulate matter gets in there inbetween the case and the MBP and creates those pits (think of all the rubbing, etc. b/t the two).

13. msriotdoll thread starter macrumors member

I'm gonna be moer careful with junk getting in between the case and the mbp.
    This is the first laptop that i move around. I used to keep it on the desk connected to a external monitor.
    I might ditch the case all together.

14. aman20177 macrumors regular

Did you end up continuing to use the case or have to stopped all together? Any further issues with the pitting?

As i've just started to use the speck case so i'm wanting to see what your experiences were.

15. Chuck-Norris macrumors 6502a

the OP failed to clean the case every so often. its not the case that scratched his macbook, its dust and debris that gets in between over time.