Pitting

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by palpatine, Oct 4, 2011.

1. palpatine macrumors 68040

I just discovered a pit on my MBA. It wasn't there yesterday!

I've only had the computer for about 6 months. I don't know why it started now, and not when I was sweating so much on it last summer. I haven't even been using it that much over the last couple of months. *sigh*

I wish I had put protection on it, because I don't want to hurt the resale value. How was I to know that I had Alien sweat?

Can anyone recommend some good protection? I gather from earlier threads that Marware ($25!?) and Moshi ($20!?) are the best products. Do you have any other recommendations?

2. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

Sweat isn't going to eat through the metal. Upload a pic of the problem and we can think of better solutions.

3. palpatine thread starter macrumors 68040

I used to think that too (actually, I am probably eating through the coating). I wouldn't believe it if I didn't have proof right in front of me. Attached is a picture. It is a little, perfectly round-shaped nick in the surface. It almost looks like a tiny bead of water from above, but when you touch it you can feel the indentation.

I can assure you that nothing but my hands have touched the computer. I wouldn't call myself OCD, but I keep my computer extremely clean (never using solvents--just damp cloth and compressed air), and I never eat or drink near it. OK. Maybe a little OCD :)

Here are some links to others who have had similar problems. The little pits on their devices look exactly what I am seeing. Obviously, mine is not much now, but over time, I imagine it will turn into something awful.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1121679
    http://www.esrun.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/macbook-pitting2.jpg

Needless to say, I am sad that I appear to be one of the few (?) people with acidic sweat who don't get along well with Apple's powder coating / aluminum.

Attached Files:

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Actually its a known problem and for some folks it is an issue that they're MBP's do pit due to sweating. Just google mbp pitting to see the number of hits

5. Risasi macrumors 6502

6. palpatine thread starter macrumors 68040

Yep. That reasonably priced one only seems to be for the Air. I am loathe to spend 20 dollars or more on this :(

7. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

I have the Moshi one, and it works great. If you're that concerned about the condition of your MBP and protecting its resale value, spending $20 to help protect it isn't really all that bad, is it?

8. palpatine thread starter macrumors 68040

No. Not in the big scheme of things. I could forgive the hard case, because I really can't see it, and I think it actually looks good. But this? Now I've got to use my computer with a wrist condom on. The alternative, is more pitting, so I guess I have no choice. I'll probably end up with the Moshi...

9. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

10. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

It gets better, I had a MBP with pitting, and they told me it's not a known issue, they've never seen it before, and since it was only on one side of the palmrest, it must be caused by my watch reacting with the aluminum.

I happily pointed out that I wear my watch on the other wrist.

Eventually they replaced it when I complained that the power button was sticking (which it was).

11. palpatine, Oct 4, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2011

palpatine thread starter macrumors 68040

Besides the pit, my computer looks brand new and runs wonderfully, so I doubt I will be getting a replacement for this little speck. That watch stuff is pure crap, but in my experience, a lot of the geniuses aren't so smart. It really varies a lot from store to store, country to country.

I got out my magnifying glass and I think I have found some potential future pits. I guess it is time to spend more money. I'll probably go for the moshi then.

EDIT: Thanks for the help everyone. I purchase the moshi PalmGuard for Macbook 13" Unibody - Silver for $17.50. I wish I would have gotten this before the pitting!

12. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

Not sure if situation would be covered but isn't it still under warranty? Might be worth a shot.

13. randomrazr macrumors 65816

not much uc an do at this point unless u want to buy a whole new computer

moshi palmgaurd if u want to cover it

14. palpatine thread starter macrumors 68040

thanks. my computer is under warranty. but, with such a small pit, i doubt they would cover it for me. even if they did, to be honest, it isn't worth going there to muck about with it. the computer is great otherwise, and this won't affect resale any more than the gas it would cost to drive out to the store.

i got the moshi palmguard. i am seriously disappointed in everyone on this forum for not making it clearer to me long ago about how great a product this is. i should have gotten it my first day.

15. Risasi macrumors 6502

LOL, you're welcome. :D

16. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

17. randomrazr macrumors 65816

d be pissed about that pitting

i had a palmgaurd, speck see thru, and moshi cleargaurd keyboard cover sinces week 1 of my 15inch anti glare macbook pro

18. Mak47 macrumors 6502a

Metals don't pit due to sweat, they pit due to the chemistry of the oils on one's skin. It's commonly seen on inexpensive jewelry and eyeglass frames. The only metal that will absolutely not react with these oils is titanium.

It is however still quite rare to see that reaction with aluminum.

Having spent several years of my life as an optician, I've seen some nasty reactions. Only once or twice with aluminum.

While aluminum is very unlikely to pit in reaction to one's skin, it is a very soft metal. It will scratch and dent quite easily. It's structural integrity is great, but it does scratch easily.

If your skin were reacting to the metal, there would be more than one pit. Plus, if you're cleaning it regularly, the oils are being removed. I wouldn't worry too much about it being an issue with your skin, it's far more likely that something came in contact with the surface and left a mark.