Pixar Animations Studios Poster Signed by Steve Jobs to Be Auctioned Off for $25,000+ [Update: Sold]

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A rare Pixar Animation Studios poster featuring "Toy Story" characters Buzz Lightyear and Woody that was signed by former Apple CEO Steve Jobs is set to be auctioned off later this week.

Jobs is said to have signed the poster sometime after 1995 when "Toy Story" debuted. The movie was Pixar's first feature length film and it was overwhelmingly successful, securing Pixar as a major animated film studio.

Poster with extra magnification of the signature at the bottom​

Steve Jobs was a majority shareholder in Pixar and he was credited as an executive producer in "Toy Story." Following Pixar's acquisition by Disney, Jobs also served as a member of Disney's board of directors as the company's largest individual shareholder.

The poster measures in at 24 inches by 36 inches and is signed by Jobs at the bottom near the Pixar logo.

The bidding on the poster will start at $25,000, and it comes with a letter of authenticity. The auction will kick off on August 29.

Update: The poster ended up selling for $31,250.

Article Link: Pixar Animations Studios Poster Signed by Steve Jobs to Be Auctioned Off for $25,000+ [Update: Sold]

WBRacing

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2012
UK
Good to know that if times ever get tough for Apple they have a secret goldmine. I mean, they must have thousands of bits of paper with his signature on it.

I get the whole collectables thing, but I'd rather have some of the main voice artists autographs on this. 25k+ for this with an almost "sneeze" of a signature to me is crazy.

Last edited:
Reactions: glowplug

chrono1081

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I think $25,000 is a bit excessive on the price.
Rich people love to buy these kinds of things and show them off. In college I worked at jobs that required me to install computer systems for rich people and they love to show their fancy coffee table books, odd collections of things, and autographs they have.

Reactions: thasan

GeoStructural

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2016
Colombia
I’d buy that in a second if I could. Cool memorabilia.
I can find so many ideas on how to spend $25000 and none comes close to buying a poster. People is so weird.

I would actually pay only 25 dollars for it, I have a window I would love to cover and it seems like the right size.

TonyC28

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2009
USA
I can find so many ideas on how to spend $25000 and none comes close to buying a poster. People is so weird.

I would actually pay only 25 dollars for it, I have a window I would love to cover and it seems like the right size.
I mean I'm not saying if I had exactly $25,000 in the bank this is how I would spend it, but this would be a cool thing to have. But you do you.

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
Does this poster come with evidence that he actually signed it? How many more random artifacts will pop up with "his" signature in the coming years...
Watched doc a while ago about how much counterfeit stuff goes through the major auction houses. All the employees know it’s going on. Part of the culture. Some rare souls speak out.

OlliFlamme

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2018
Sweden

The type of folks that buy such crap are the type for whom this is an equivalent of let’s say 100 $ for a common person.
It’s not thrown away money, as this will gain in value.

This is the kind of thing that sets apart rich peops from common people: they waste money on food and champagne, but they preferably combine having things with investing money.

That’s the key to getting by: place your bucks into things you like, hurting your wallet - but without the money being vaporised...

Same goes with credit: take only credit for stuff that keeps its value.

WBRacing

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2012
UK
Looking into this poster it is a rare one that was sent to shareholders, from the article and link that wasn't entirely clear. They originally also came with a printed letter from Steve Jobs, now I can understand why it's commanding such a high value.

Does this poster come with evidence that he actually signed it? How many more random artifacts will pop up with "his" signature in the coming years...
The evidence is linked to in the article:

auctioned off

laptech

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
I think i would rather have proof of provenance, a document signed by a witness who actually saw Steve Jobs sign the poster, rather than rely on the word of some company that says his signature is real and not a fake.

When the movie came out and posters were made to promote the movie, someone must have asked Steve to sign the poster, lets gets that person to come forward.

PinkyMacGodess

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
"The bidding on the poster will start at $25,000, and it comes with a letter of authenticity."

Depends on whether you trust who vouches for the authenticity.

WWPD

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2015
Ten Forward
$25,000? I can't do that. I'll give you 250 bucks for it.
You see, I've got to frame it and then it will probably sit here for a few years..

Reactions: Morod

Morod

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
On The Nickel, over there....
I think $25k is way low for this. As mentioned above, very rich people like these things, and Toy Story/Steve Jobs (who had quite a bit of say in the final storyline) connection is "the sky's the limit" territory.
Of course, I'll be sitting this one out…