Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tirexstorm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2007
I have used nothing but an iPhone since the week the first iPhone came out. I have a Macbook Pro, iPad, Apple Watch, and Apple TV. I never had a reason to leave the iPhone until now. My 6s constantly had battery problems. Goes from about 100% to 30% in 90 minutes and then powers off somewhere around 20-30%. Genius bar claims my battery is fine and the serial number of my phone isn't one of the phones they are willing to recall. That plus buggy iOS 11 (constantly having the issue where my lock screen goes blank- no time, no date, no notifications) and little interest in the new hardware (8 plus feels so outdated, want a wider screen than the X) are making me consider an Android for the first time.

I am currently on T-Mobile, but plan to switch carriers soon (Verizon or Sprint.) I love the look of the S8+. I have read that the Samsung bloatware can be an issue though, and that switching carriers can be a pain (lack of wifi calling, having to flash firmware even on unlocked phone.) My other option is Pixel 2 XL. Hardware doesn't seem as nice, but software seems a lot better. Looking to buy secondhand. Can find unlocked S8+ for around $500 and Pixel for around $650. Android phones are foreign to me. What do you suggest for someone in my situation?

ramram55

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
I was in the same boat as you are till this June with iphone 6s, horrible battery life. With Sprint and Moto 5 Plus managed to get used to android and jumped with a month so to moto z2 force, never happier. pixel 2 XL is pure android, you will be happy with it. Never look back to outdated OS that is IOS. you will get used to Android very easy, after all phone is phone used for calling and texting. Should get you along. You have been in an OS too long.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Pixel.

Samsung makes some good hardware but their software leaves a lot to be desired with additional services that Samsung uses and duplicate software etc.

I think the "value added software" many oems include detract from the overall experience and will get in the way.

Pixel for a cleaner more ios-type experience

My 2 cents

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
Pixel 2 XL simply for no bloat and unlocked from Verizon. It also has 24/7 chat support through its Settings and will be supported longer.

If you use Mac, then S8+ is more convenient as microSD via SD adapter is better for transfers. It also has headphone jack.

My money is on Pixels. It's the one product line I am willing to remain loyal to if I'm planning to stay with Android for life.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I'd go the Pixel route as well. I have used Samsung and Pixel devices in the past and preferred the pure Android experience on the Pixel. I loved the hardware of the Samsung (S6) but the bloatware was just annoying.

tirexstorm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2007
Ok, Pixel it is. Next question (and I know I am in the minority here,) I really like the stock keyboard on the samsung S8 (I like that it highlights all of the words that it auto-corrected, so that I can easily go back and change anything that I did not want "corrected.") Is it possible to get this keyboard on the Pixel?

Fanaticalism

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2013
Ok, Pixel it is. Next question (and I know I am in the minority here,) I really like the stock keyboard on the samsung S8 (I like that it highlights all of the words that it auto-corrected, so that I can easily go back and change anything that I did not want "corrected.") Is it possible to get this keyboard on the Pixel?
I get that you like that feature on the S8 keyboard but I will say this, the benefit of the Gboard is that not only does it learn your typing habits with the ability to add to your dictionary, but if you have to reset your phone or upgrade to another, your autocorrection and typing habits come with you.

For me, it's all about the streamlined software experience when you jump from device to device, which is what you get with Apple. This includes:

Full system restores
Password autofill and recovery
Sharing across devices and even platforms
Preferred Payment methods across devices and platforms

It's the little things :)

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London

Not to go OT but a few months ago I changed keyboard from GBoard to Swiftkey and it has totally transformed by typing experience. Swiftkey's prediction is much more superiors and the ability to enlarge the keyboard makes typing quicker.

As I bilingual person I don't even have to switch between two language settings as Swiftkey is exceptional at guessing when I want to speak English or Swedish, or both in the same sentence!

Back on topic:

As others have mentioned Samsung's hardware is superb but Google's software has the upper hand this time around. The camera on the Pixel is second to none and will bring you lots of joy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.