Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nviz22

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
From Bloomberg via The Verge:

Verizon exclusive carrier again. I'm sure there will be unlocked models from Google.

Single camera on the back. Two cameras on the front though.

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/circuitbreaker/2018/5/30/17410608/google-pixel-3-xl-notch

I believe those leaks from yesterday now. I'm already disappointed.

From a marketing standpoint, not having dual cameras will be seen as being behind the competition. It's not going to help Google push sales.

Also, there are videos that show the Pixel 2's portrait mode doesn't always do well at differentiating between foreground and background. I've noticed this to be true with my Pixel 2 as well.

I didn't mind a singular camera on the Pixel 2 when I used it. I should've kept the Pixel 2 and negotiate a partial refund when I bought a refurb that was sold as new.

Google is just ahead of everyone with its cameras. Don't get me wrong, my Note 8 has a good camera set, but you don't need a telephoto lense to succeed.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I didn't mind a singular camera on the Pixel 2 when I used it. I should've kept the Pixel 2 and negotiate a partial refund when I bought a refurb that was sold as new.

Google is just ahead of everyone with its cameras. Don't get me wrong, my Note 8 has a good camera set, but you don't need a telephoto lense to succeed.

No question, the Pixel 2 camera is really special. I love it, and still consider it a cut above the S9+.

However, from a marketing standpoint, the Pixel 3 with its rumored single camera would be competing with flagships and mid-ranges alike that feature dual cameras. It'll be a harder sell and will seem as if Google is "behind." From my understanding, Pixel sales aren't exactly great. This isn't going to help.

Also, if we're discussing strictly portrait mode photos, the Pixel 2 does fail to sometimes differentiate foreground/background. I assume Google's AI will make gains in this area, but it does misfire where a dual camera will get it right. There are YT vids that compare cameras and demonstrate this shortcoming.

I have no doubt the Pixel 3 camera will be great -- the Pixel has always been about the camera. It's a bit of a shame they aren't going all out.

Reactions: jamezr

nviz22

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
No question, the Pixel 2 camera is really special. I love it, and still consider it a cut above the S9+.

However, from a marketing standpoint, the Pixel 3 with its rumored single camera would be competing with flagships and mid-ranges alike that feature dual cameras. It'll be a harder sell and will seem as if Google is "behind." From my understanding, Pixel sales aren't exactly great. This isn't going to help.

Also, if we're discussing strictly portrait mode photos, the Pixel 2 does fail to sometimes differentiate foreground/background. I assume Google's AI will make gains in this area, but it does misfire where a dual camera will get it right. There are YT vids that compare cameras and demonstrate this shortcoming.

I have no doubt the Pixel 3 camera will be great -- the Pixel has always been about the camera. It's a bit of a shame they aren't going all out.

Agreed, marketing is important to increase more sales for Google since people do not know about the Pixel. I am going to go Pixel 3 or iPhone LCD X style model this fall.

Reactions: epicrayban

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
From Bloomberg via The Verge:

Verizon exclusive carrier again. I'm sure there will be unlocked models from Google.

Single camera on the back. Two cameras on the front though.

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/circuitbreaker/2018/5/30/17410608/google-pixel-3-xl-notch

I believe those leaks from yesterday now. I'm already disappointed.

From a marketing standpoint, not having dual cameras will be seen as being behind the competition. It's not going to help Google push sales.

Also, there are videos that show the Pixel 2's portrait mode doesn't always do well at differentiating between foreground and background. I've noticed this to be true with my Pixel 2 as well.

The Verge makes it sound like the smaller-no-notch Pixel3 is disappointing, but to me it's a huge plus. A notch wouldn't stop me from buying it, but it sure looks much better being symmetrical and not having a notch.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Notchure why the notch needs to be so deep on the rumoured XL design. Is it to be as deep as the lower bezel is (to appear symmetrical)? If so, then it's a pretty dumb move. Ok, have the notch, but make it as shallow as possible, unless Google plan to use 2 rows for Status Bar icons. ... If they do, then it'll make the notch/Status bars/camera an efficient cluster of information & merging of space otherwise wasted with a dated bezel.

That lower bezel though, it needs to be thinned out. There's no Home button, so why make high enough to house one?...

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
With rumors of triple cameras coming to major flagships like the iPhone X Plus (maybe as early as 2018) and Galaxy S10, the Pixel 3 with one camera will seem even further behind as we go into 2019...

iPhone X Plus Said to Feature Triple-Lens Rear Camera in 2018, Despite Most Rumors Pointing to 2019

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/06/01/iphone-x-plus-triple-lens-camera-rumor/

Like Apple's iPhone X Plus, the Samsung Galaxy S10 could feature a triple rear camera
https://www.phonearena.com/news/Samsung-Galaxy-S10-triple-rear-camera-rumor_id105383

Google seems adamant on being behind in hardware with the Pixel line. I wonder if it's to not step on other OEMs.

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015
With rumors of triple cameras coming to major flagships like the iPhone X Plus (maybe as early as 2018) and Galaxy S10, the Pixel 3 with one camera will seem even further behind as we go into 2019...

iPhone X Plus Said to Feature Triple-Lens Rear Camera in 2018, Despite Most Rumors Pointing to 2019

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/06/01/iphone-x-plus-triple-lens-camera-rumor/

Like Apple's iPhone X Plus, the Samsung Galaxy S10 could feature a triple rear camera
https://www.phonearena.com/news/Samsung-Galaxy-S10-triple-rear-camera-rumor_id105383

Google seems adamant on being behind in hardware with the Pixel line. I wonder if it's to not step on other OEMs.
I think I've seen you made a couple post about the pixel being behind because they might stick to single lens camera. I don't get why that is an issue. I think we can both agree the pixel 2 still has the best camera, even beating the p20 pro with 3 cameras in most instances from sample pics I've seen.

I don't care how many lens the pixel has, as long as it has the best camera. I would like a wide angle lens but I wouldn't say the pixel 3 is behind because it has 1 lens but yet still take the best pics.

Last edited:

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Double and triple rear cameras on phones and yet didn't Amazon get laughed at for putting 4 in their firephones?

I think a dedicated monochrome sensor would be really cool for more artistic photography, even with a swappable ir filter. Probably wouldn't sell too well because the selfie craze. But it's a thought I wouldn't mind seeing

Reactions: jamezr

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I think I've seen you made a couple post about the pixel being behind because they might stick to single lens camera. I don't get why that is an issue. I think we can both agree the pixel 2 still has the best camera, even beating the p20 pro with 3 cameras in most instances from sample pics I've seen.

I don't care how many lens the pixel has, as long as it has the best camera. I would like a wide angle lens but I wouldn't say the pixel 3 is behind because it has 1 lens but yet still take the best pics.

I hear you. I love my Pixel 2 camera.

Again, speaking from a marketing standpoint and knowing how most consumers are, a single camera isn't going to help Google increase Pixel sales when the competition already has dual cameras and are looking into triple camera setups in the near future. And if we're talking about portrait mode, the lack of dual cameras is a disadvantage. As impressive as the Pixel 2 is for being able to achieve portrait mode at all via a single camera, it's not as accurate as dual camera setups -- it doesn't always blur the right things along the edges.

There's no question the Pixel 3 camera will be great. Just a shame seeing Google hold back on hardware. It's something they seem to keep doing...

Last edited:

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

Again, speaking from a marketing standpoint and knowing how most consumers are, a single camera isn't going to help Google increase Pixel sales when the competition already has dual cameras and are looking into triple camera setups in the near future. And if we're talking about portrait mode, the lack of dual cameras is a disadvantage. As impressive as the Pixel 2 is for being able to achieve portrait mode at all via a single camera, it's not as accurate as dual camera setups -- it doesn't always blur the right things along the edges.

There's no question the Pixel 3 camera will be great. Just a shame seeing Google hold back on hardware. It's something they seem to keep doing...

Agree. What the Pixel does with a single lens is pretty remarkable. But for all the software/processing wizardry Google squeezes out of that setup, it can only do so much. It needs more data to be able to improve that processing further. And in a device as thin as a smartphone, that are physical limitations in what optics can be used. Adding a second camera with different optics/sensors is the best way to obtain that extra data and not including one is giving competition a serious potential advantage.

Last edited:

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015

True....until you're at an event and people with iPhone X and Samsung S9 sees your pics and says "Wow! What phone is that?! Why dont my pics look so good" haha.

Since Google seems to be following in the footsteps of Apple I don't think I'll ever get my dream wide angle second lens on the Pixel. I know reports have said dual camera in the front and single in the rear. It would seem strange for them to have dual cameras in the front and not the rear imo.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Agreed, marketing is important to increase more sales for Google since people do not know about the Pixel. I am going to go Pixel 3 or iPhone LCD X style model this fall.

Yes. The Pixel line of the phone have very low public awareness. I don't know of anyone who owns or has ever owned a Google branded phones. Their industrial design functional branding lacks sex appeal to lure in new customers.

With phones, the fear of buying one you don't like is big, hence why the majority of people upgrade to a phone of the same make. In the Android sphere, Samsung's billion spent on marketing and distribution drown out competitors to the point that the general public think Android = Samsung phone.

Another problem is that the Pixel 2 is only available on Verizon. 6 weeks ago I recommended the Pixel 2 XL to my brother who lives in Ireland but he told me it's unavailable in country. He can't even get the One Plus or the P20 Huawei so he had to buy.............you guessed it right.........a Samsung S9. Neither is a bad choice, the design is utterly gorgeous and screen is best on the market.

I don't see the Pixel phones as Google's ambitions to become a hardware manufacturers. I see them as reference design for Android phones telling other manufacturers "Hey, you guys are doing great, however Android can also be simple, fast and bloatware free".

Hardware cost money and there is no point in making a $1,000 that will be hard buy for iPhone and Samsung loyalists. Google's approach is to offer phones that are best at doing things that matter most e.g photos, speed, battery life and easy of use. Hardware features like Face ID for animojis, triple cameras, wireless charging and S-Pen are great but add cost that need to be passed on to the customers.

Remember, the S9+ and iPhone X are 50% more expensive than a Pixel 2 XL! I would rather buy a 2018 iPad, PS4 Pro or ATV + Soundbar with the spare cash rather than have a second camera lens.

Although the X is the best iPhone available, the other iPhones accounted for 60% of shipments in Q1 which shows that consumers are price conscious.

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
Remember, the S9+ and iPhone X are 50% more expensive than a Pixel 2 XL! I would rather buy a 2018 iPad, PS4 Pro or ATV + Soundbar with the spare cash rather than have a second camera lens.

Depends on the country. For some reason here in Finland the Pixel 2 lineup is incredibly expensive and even elsewhere in Europe the XL is only about 100€ less expensive than a S9+ based on a quick look on Amazon.de. S9 can actually be had cheaper than the Pixel 2. When released the Pixel 2 took a long time to get here and was priced so high that I don't understand why anyone would buy one.

I really hope that the Pixel 3 line is priced better globally.

nviz22

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
Yes. The Pixel line of the phone have very low public awareness. I don't know of anyone who owns or has ever owned a Google branded phones. Their industrial design functional branding lacks sex appeal to lure in new customers.

With phones, the fear of buying one you don't like is big, hence why the majority of people upgrade to a phone of the same make. In the Android sphere, Samsung's billion spent on marketing and distribution drown out competitors to the point that the general public think Android = Samsung phone.

Another problem is that the Pixel 2 is only available on Verizon. 6 weeks ago I recommended the Pixel 2 XL to my brother who lives in Ireland but he told me it's unavailable in country. He can't even get the One Plus or the P20 Huawei so he had to buy.............you guessed it right.........a Samsung S9. Neither is a bad choice, the design is utterly gorgeous and screen is best on the market.

I don't see the Pixel phones as Google's ambitions to become a hardware manufacturers. I see them as reference design for Android phones telling other manufacturers "Hey, you guys are doing great, however Android can also be simple, fast and bloatware free".

Hardware cost money and there is no point in making a $1,000 that will be hard buy for iPhone and Samsung loyalists. Google's approach is to offer phones that are best at doing things that matter most e.g photos, speed, battery life and easy of use. Hardware features like Face ID for animojis, triple cameras, wireless charging and S-Pen are great but add cost that need to be passed on to the customers.

Although the X is the best iPhone available, the other iPhones accounted for 60% of shipments in Q1 which shows that consumers are price conscious.

Pure Android devices are typically a tech enthusiast phone anyways. Verizon Pixels are often sold lower if they're manufacturer refurb or seller refurb. I could've held onto a refurb Pixel 2 for $430, but chose not to since I felt like the seller lowballed me on "new other" order with a warranty less than 2 years, no charger meant for the Pixel 2, and other accessories that were missing since I originally paid $450. I don't think Google will solve their phone supply chain problems in the next release either. Their exclusivity contract is terrible.

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
I think Google is concious of what is going on in the market. But do they care? Smartphone sales are down and will continue to go down until a new way of communicating or some innovative tech reaches smartphones. The market is saturated with phones and people are beginning to balk at the high phone prices. Within its limits, smartphones regardless of price can do what we want it to do already. I don't think we need further hardware upgrades. Multi cameras, larger hard drives? Not needed anymore. It's all about software now and Google is in the right direction with Google assistant and their camera software. They need to focus on that and maintain reasonable phone prices.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012

I disagree. The Pixel 2 has the best camera only if you like what the algorithm does. It doesn’t capture a lot of sharp details that even the Note8 does. Every picture is, to me, beautiful but not actually what’s there. The same issue is there with the P20 Pro.

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015
I disagree. The Pixel 2 has the best camera only if you like what the algorithm does. It doesn’t capture a lot of sharp details that even the Note8 does. Every picture is, to me, beautiful but not actually what’s there. The same issue is there with the P20 Pro.
Well I won't disagree with you because it is subjective. However, I guess we can agree that it is relatively par with all the other top phone manufacturers.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Well I won't disagree with you because it is subjective. However, I guess we can agree that it is relatively par with all the other top phone manufacturers.
Im with you...the Pixel 2 camera is the best on the market. What Google does with one camera is amazing. It would b e great to see them go to a double camera set up at some point though.

Reactions: Blaze4G

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
Realistically, I expect it to have the same specs as all the other devices on the market in 2018.

Meaning: SD845, 4-6GB RAM. This is pretty much a given.

Now for what I would hope it would have...

Improved camera - It's already great, but this is something I want constant improvements in, so I hope the camera takes better images and videos. I don't want a dual camera personally. But if we do get a secondary camera, I would really want it to be wide-angle, it has so many more uses than a tele-zoom camera or monochrome.

Slow motion - Just like all the others, it'll probably have a 0.2s, 720p slomo camera.

120Hz Low latency screen - Now this I would really love! After playing around with Razer phone with its 120Hz screen, I am sold on 120Hz.

Front speakers - Most likely will happen.

Small bezels - Still in the air.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I wish the Pixel 3 would go back to the design element of the first Pixel where it was thicker in the top than the bottom.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.