Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
I’d be fine with all the issues, even the 4GB or RAM, I’d the price was more reasonable. I’m not saying phones shouldn’t be priced at over $1k. That’s the market and we have to deal with it. But for over $1k there shouldn’t be compromises as glaring and easy to fix such as 4GB of RAM.

The only reasoning I can see for the going with such low RAM is that they want to prioritize battery and one way to do so is aggressively kill background apps. If that’s the case, 4GB of RAM is plenty.

Reactions: Ralfi

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Further on the above, looks like App Relaods will be a regular thing with the Pixel 3 XL. Losing to both Note9 and OnePlus 6 in Multitasking. I'd hate to see what the OnePlus 6T and Huawei Mate 20 Pro will do to the Pixel 3 XL

I've been using iPhones since they came out. 99.9% of the people out there don't give a crap about whether or not 15 apps stay open in the background or not. It's just not important.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
I've been using iPhones since they came out. 99.9% of the people out there don't give a crap about whether or not 15 apps stay open in the background or not. It's just not important.

Agreed. But you don’t want Spotify closing if you’re listening to music and doing something else. And you don’t want a game closing if you switch over to take a picture.

Reactions: Tsepz

dazz87

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Friend just got his 3 today.....He stated that the screen to him is much better than his XS.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
What are you guys using for Ad Blocking on a brand new 3 XL not rooted yet.

Ad Guard with Samsung Browser is good. DN666 not bad, but sucks for Chrome. I've noticed if using Chrome almost non of the non rooted ad blockers work ?

For stock it seems Samsung Browser does ad blocking best.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Probably Samsung browser with built in ad blockers for browser only. For systemwide, you have to root for anything decent.
[doublepost=1539824801][/doublepost]Probably Samsung browser with built in ad blockers for browser only. For systemwide, you have to root for anything decent.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
What are you guys using for Ad Blocking on a brand new 3 XL not rooted yet.

Ad Guard with Samsung Browser is good. DN666 not bad, but sucks for Chrome. I've noticed if using Chrome almost non of the non rooted ad blockers work ?

For stock it seems Samsung Browser does ad blocking best.

Just a heads up, John Wu (topjohnwu on Twitter) mentioned getting his pixel XL 3 tomorrow so I would think root (magisk) would not be too far behind. I'm really curious due to that Titan security chip. It's probably akin to Knox but I mean the device is mean to be developer friendly... Right?... o_O I would think but with the way Google has been doing things lately, um I'm getting a bit worried if root is going bye bye :eek:

Reactions: Tig Bitties

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Yeah i'd just like my ~5 most recent Apps to stay open, but even on the X's 3GB RAM, it struggles.

Hope the Pixel has decent RAM management as an extra GB could make the difference, especially with their own optimised phone software/Apps.
[doublepost=1539825696][/doublepost]
Agreed. But you don’t want Spotify closing if you’re listening to music and doing something else. And you don’t want a game closing if you switch over to take a picture.
Yeah Spotify's been pretty poor of late - freeze on startup & restarting more often (even with minimal other Apps open), but this is more to do with the App itself than the phone I think...an update or two should fix it.

But i'm coming from an iPhone perspective - Spotify may be behaving better on Android & maybe even better on Google's minimalist software?
[doublepost=1539825985][/doublepost]
Good camera comparison between the Pixel 3 and the iPhone Xs.

Seems to be the trend of reviews - gap closed for stills, with the Pixel still in the lead, but gap widened for video, with the iPhone out in front.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
I am still in my 14 day return window for my XS Max and I was really hoping to hear good thing about the Pixel 3 XL to make me want to return it. But the reviews haven’t been glowing and now the first batch of people that have received their devices are starting to post....and it doesn’t sound great. Hopefully it’s just the first hardware batch but so far complaints of awful mic recording and tons of rattling/vibration in the speakers. Google are still new to the hardware game and it may take them a couple months to make some hardware revisions.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Lol, did you watch the tests? It's not about 15 apps, it's about a few apps, simple apps that are closing like Spotify. That's basic stuff, listening to music while writing an email/texting and/or web browsing.

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
As for the ram tests where it crashed playing spotify and taking a picture. Well, I don't use spotify, only Apple Music, but I can play Apple Music and take as many pictures as I want without and issue so far.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
As for the ram tests where it crashed playing spotify and taking a picture. Well, I don't use spotify, only Apple Music, but I can play Apple Music and take as many pictures as I want without and issue so far.

If only they'd all stop using whatever music service they want and switch to Apple Music, everything would be okay. /S

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
If only they'd all stop using whatever music service they want and switch to Apple Music, everything would be okay. /S

Okay, was just showing what is working for me. Could be a ram issue, could be a spotify issue, could be a bug. Was just trying to show what isn't an issue for me.

woozor1

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2015
Uk
I was looking at the pixel 2 and how had bad audio issuse in recording which they fixed didint they? I wonder if they can fix the current audio recording I hope google address it.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Okay, was just showing what is working for me. Could be a ram issue, could be a spotify issue, could be a bug. Was just trying to show what isn't an issue for me.
I get you, no point in harping on about an issue, but at this price point and in 2018 it is a concern.

I do hope your Pixel 3 XL will be great though as it does seem Google fixed a lot of what was wrong with the 2XL, which is great news. Let's just hope the RAM management doesn't hinder what is a good devices from what I am seeing.

It just sucks that this RAM issue keeps creeping in every 3-4years, and manufacturers incl. Apple try milk as much out of it before they move to the next one and by that point people are annoyed.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Xda users are reporting the speakers aren’t great. Apparently they cause a lot of vibration, have buzzing at low volume, and are very lopsided with the bottom speaker producing way more sound than the top.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
The Pixel 3's LG screen being so well reviewed is a good sign for Apple as well, considering LG is going to eventually be their second supplier of screens.

My shipment has updated and will be delivering tomorrow.

Hope everyone who is getting theirs today enjoy. Post impressions!

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Good to see LG getting things right with the Pixel 3 display. The 3XL display is made by Samsung so not surprising to hear that display is excellent.

I've been hesitant to buy any LG phones or screens made by LG because they have had too many quality control issues for my liking. From constant bootloop issues with their hardware to a history of inconsistent displays. Hopefully that's resolved for the Pixel 3. While I'm really disappointed in the 3XL, the 3 sounds like the perfect phone for those that are against the current trend of big devices.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
got the phone last night set it up similar to my 2 XL first impressions are the screen definitely feels bigger just not talking around the notch it seems like the width of the screen is a little wider minimal bezel on the side compared to my 2 XL, which is great

Again the display seems brighter and just overall higher-quality.

performance it's way too early to say I haven't played with it enough but so far it's smooth no lag very fast but that's expected of any brand new phone today

I bought a case, but it's too thick, this phone needs a slim minimal case, it's too pretty to be covered by a bulky case.

It feels like an improved Pixel 2 XL, not a radical new phone like going from an iPhone 7 Plus to a iPhone XS Max, no not that kinda jump. But more of a refined polished better 2 XL. And I really like my Pixel 2 XL, this just seems better.

Last edited:

QueenTyrone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2016
Good to see LG getting things right with the Pixel 3 display. The 3XL display is made by Samsung so not surprising to hear that display is excellent.

I've been hesitant to buy any LG phones or screens made by LG because they have had too many quality control issues for my liking. From constant bootloop issues with their hardware to a history of inconsistent displays. Hopefully that's resolved for the Pixel 3. While I'm really disappointed in the 3XL, the 3 sounds like the perfect phone for those that are against the current trend of big devices.

It’s not resolved apparently in the pixel reddit

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
My impressions of the 3 (non XL) after a day -vs- Pixel 2...

1. Screen is MUCH better than the Pixel 2
2. Don't notice any speed increase
3. Battery life to early to tell
4. Feels good in hand, not slippery
5. Camera is better but I've only taken a few photos
6. Gestures are meh but I'll learn to live with them
7. Price is ridiculous -vs- $650 for the Pixel 2

IMG-20181017-151407.jpg

IMG-20181017-151417.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.