Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ethrem

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2009
Yea but Android you can make your pages how you want. You have your main homepage and make as many of those as you want.
I have about three with one being the main. I put apps on the other two I use the most. So you don't have to scroll thru every app you have and I have a little over 200 of them.
I mean how much faster is it to do your way than just swipe once left or right and then click the app you want? Time isn't that critical lol.

Don't know if Apple let's you do that as I haven't had a iPhone for 10-11 years. But it's all subjective. I don't prefer the Always on Display like he does. I prefer my screen to be off when I'm not using it.

I know that Android gives you a ton of flexibility there, it’s one of the things I missed the most before Apple added the App Library is how clean Android home screens can be, I just have gotten used to how quick it is to use Spotlight. I don’t even put new apps on the Home Screen, they all go right to App Library.

Ethrem

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2009
My husband accesses his apps that way. I don't and it drives him nuts to watch me poking around looking for my apps. Lol I know how to use it, but for some reason my brain just doesn't automatically go to that solution. I'll only do it if I can't find an app. Most of the time it's an app I rarely use or deleted and forgot I deleted it. Most of what I want to use is organized and right where I expect it to be and ingrained in muscle memory.

I didn’t start using it until the App Library came out. Haven’t stopped using it since.

Ethrem

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2009
AoD ( Always on Display ) is a major feature I love.

If your phone is sitting on the table and you walk by its nice to see if you have a missed text or missed call.

But with an iPhone, walking by it laying on the table it looks like the phone is turned off and no clue if you have a missed text or anything.

I just like the AoD idea.

AoD is nice but it’s a real battery drain. That’s why Apple hasn’t done it yet. Now that they have LTPO tech that can adjust the refresh rate to 1hz they will probably bring it with the 14 (if it was coming with the 13 something would have been in beta by now even if it is a massive battery hog at 60hz).

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Ok today's my first workday using this phone, which can be demanding, being on the phone a lot with contractors, vendors, using GPS Navigation, e-mails, texts, etc... So far the battery life has been OUTSTANDING nothing short of amazing. Unplugged the phone @ 6:30am from a full charge, it is now 2:30pm, battery shows 83%, which is mind blowing good. My old Pixel 4 XL used this same way, right now would probably be down to 50%.

And just navigating the UI and using stock Android is such a joy, and so much more fluid and easier to move around than iOS.

But the only little gripe I have is the phone feels just ever so slightly some very minor hiccups here and there, just a tiny bit, the phone may hesitate for a half second, or an app will need to refresh and not stay where it was. It's not a slow laggy phone by any means, no not at all, but I will say my Pixel 4 XL running Android 12 beta definitely feels smoother and more fluid. Is that because it's running Android 12? Or does the 4 XL just have better hardware?

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
The display on this 5a is actually pretty nice. Deep blacks and vibrant colors, and it gets fairly bright outdoors.

Dark theme on this phone with a cool dark wallpaper and stuff looks really cool 😎

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
Ok today's my first workday using this phone, which can be demanding, being on the phone a lot with contractors, vendors, using GPS Navigation, e-mails, texts, etc... So far the battery life has been OUTSTANDING nothing short of amazing. Unplugged the phone @ 6:30am from a full charge, it is now 2:30pm, battery shows 83%, which is mind blowing good. My old Pixel 4 XL used this same way, right now would probably be down to 50%.

And just navigating the UI and using stock Android is such a joy, and so much more fluid and easier to move around than iOS.

But the only little gripe I have is the phone feels just ever so slightly some very minor hiccups here and there, just a tiny bit, the phone may hesitate for a half second, or an app will need to refresh and not stay where it was. It's not a slow laggy phone by any means, no not at all, but I will say my Pixel 4 XL running Android 12 beta definitely feels smoother and more fluid. Is that because it's running Android 12? Or does the 4 XL just have better hardware?
Agreed, but I haven't even noticed any slowdowns at all on my 5a. Perhaps its because I came from an 11 Pro Max? Oddly my favorite feature is that notifications on the active2 watch and the pixel are completely independent of each other.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
The battery life on this Pixel 5a is silly good :) Yesterday used it all day for work, then a lot at night when home surfing the net and watching YouTube. Unplugged @ 6:30am, went to bed @ 10:30am, phone showed like 51% battery at bedtime, and had like 4h 58m SoT. This may truly be a 10h Screen on Time phone, which is absolutely insane for a Pixel phone, which for me typically get half that, so this is a massive improvement in battery life.

Heck even my iPhone 12 Pro Max doesn't come close to this Pixel 5a battery, the 12 Pro Max gets pretty good, not amazing battery life. This 5a is next level battery life.

Ethrem

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2009
The battery life on this Pixel 5a is silly good :) Yesterday used it all day for work, then a lot at night when home surfing the net and watching YouTube. Unplugged @ 6:30am, went to bed @ 10:30am, phone showed like 51% battery at bedtime, and had like 4h 58m SoT. This may truly be a 10h Screen on Time phone, which is absolutely insane for a Pixel phone, which for me typically get half that, so this is a massive improvement in battery life.

Heck even my iPhone 12 Pro Max doesn't come close to this Pixel 5a battery, the 12 Pro Max gets pretty good, not amazing battery life. This 5a is next level battery life.

What on earth are you doing to your 12 Pro Max to not have amazing battery life? Even running the iOS 15 betas which have been hit or miss on battery I average about 11h SoT per 24 hours with ~100% charge used.

6349ef4c5ae59d250551bcca691f0e55.jpg

That’s actually my biggest concern switching to Pixel is losing a bunch of battery life. I’ve seen this thing go 14 hours when I’m not playing games on it.

MarkX

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2015
Fochabers, Scotland
What on earth are you doing to your 12 Pro Max to not have amazing battery life? Even running the iOS 15 betas which have been hit or miss on battery I average about 11h SoT per 24 hours with ~100% charge used.

6349ef4c5ae59d250551bcca691f0e55.jpg

That’s actually my biggest concern switching to Pixel is losing a bunch of battery life. I’ve seen this thing go 14 hours when I’m not playing games on it.
What I want to know is:

How on earth do you get anything else in your life done with that amount of phone usage?

Averaging 11 hours a day, jeez!

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

Ethrem

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2009
What I want to know is:

How on earth do you get anything else in your life done with that amount of phone usage?

Averaging 11 hours a day, jeez!

Not hard to do when you’re disabled. My anxiety gets too high when I’m playing games on a console and my agoraphobia gets in the way of everything else so my phone tends to be the bulk of my entertainment.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
You should use Apollo for Reddit instead (iOS). So much better than the actual Reddit app. Both home screens are clean AF.

Thank you. Man I wish iOS allowed easy theming of icons, not the Shortcuts method.

I know people laugh at Jailbreaks today, but they do still offer some pretty cool tweaks and changes to iOS, that I wish were baked into stock. I'm not JB, missed the boat because I run the latest iOS betas, and for Jailbreak need to be on old firmware.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Really liking the size and shape of this Pixel 5A, just feels so good in hand and much easier to use than the gigantic 12 Pro Max.

Also the rounded sides and rounded shape make it very comfortable in the hand, feels so good to hold. The 12 Pro Max with the squared edges is uncomfortable and feels pointy to hold.

I know also a case on both and it's different but still prefer the rounded feel of the 5a.

Plus the tall candy bar size again is just easier to use.

I'd be happy if Google made this exact devise their flagship. Give it 12GB RAM, a 5,000mAh battery, 120hz screen, wireless charging, and the custom processor.

One pleasant surprise is the screen quality on this 5a, it's much better than I would've expected, bright outdoors with deep blacks and vibrant colors. This display actually seems pretty high quality.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Took 2 photos of each, lights off and lights on in the room. I've always thought the 12 Pro Max took crap portrait pics, and yep this camera kinda blows actually compared to a Pixel.

But video a different story, but I rarely take videos.

Except this last night;

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.