Pixel Noise after sleep on new 2.26 Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by tinycg, May 14, 2009.

1. tinycg macrumors member

Ok so I thought that 10.5.7 might have addressed this, as I was lucky enough not to see it all last night and today. However the issues seems to have popped up again.

I'm getting an issue where I get gray pixelated noise from one of my displays after the Mac Pro sleeps. After looking around earlier this week I found a few things that seemed to point to people with Macbook Pro's having this issue under the following conditions:

It happens after OSX sleeps the displays most of the time

It seems to involve the mini-displayport to dvi adapter (others of tested the monoprice one with limited success.)

It happens with non-apple displays, I have a 24" Dell 2407WFP, in fact I have 2, and the DVI connected one doesnt have this issue.

Unlike other people that seemingly have to restart to get the display to get the correct signal. I however havent needed to do that, when it started to happen it seemed to correct itself after a few seconds. Now though it hangs until I sleep the displays again and unsleep them, through an Expose corner.

Has anyone had this problem on their new Mac Pros with the Nvidia GT 120? Is it card related regarding the adapter? As I was thinking to get either the 285 or the HD 4870 at somepoint.

If anyone has any thoughts it would be appreciated. It doesnt happen all the time right now, and isnt really consistent so I'm trying to figure out if something is faulty, but that doesnt seem to be the case.

2. macman21 macrumors newbie

This sounds exactly like what I've been seeing on my 2.26. I have the 4870 with two non-Apple displays connected. The display connected on DisplayPort with the Apple DVI adapter is the only one that does this. Intermittently, when waking from sleep I'll get a "snowy" picture, but it has always gone away so far. 10.5.7 didn't fix it for me either. I haven't really bothered to look into a solution since it goes away after a few seconds.

3. Aravintht macrumors 6502a

Happens to me too!

My current setup

GT120 - Slot 1 - Dell 2407 - dvi - Pixel noise after sleep/display sleep
    GT120 - Slot 2 - Dell 2408 - dvi - No pixel noise

Previous set up
    GT120 - Slot 1 - Dell 2407 - mini disp port to dvi - pixel noise
    - Dell 2408 - dvi - no pixel noise

Have switched the two monitors around etc, i only get pixel noise on the main display, no matter if i share one card or what connection i use.

Asked apple about it, they have no record.

4. Aravintht macrumors 6502a

*Asked apple about it, and the have no record of anyone else with the same problem.

Forgot to mention, i have the 2.26 octo - purchased about 3 weeks ago.

5. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

This happens on my MacBook with Mini DisplayPort-DVI going to a dell 2709w.

It will just cut to snow occasionally, unplugging the adapter and plugging back in will stop it

Wonder if it's an nVidia thing.

6. tinycg thread starter macrumors member

Working from home today I've been testing about a couple things.

Switching between vga and dvi I got it to go away after it wouldn't go away with my Sleep Displays trick.

I'm beginning to wonder if its a video signal issue with adapter and the monitor. As people with different video cards have experienced this along with people with different monitors and my understanding, different adapters.

My thought is after coming back from sleep, the adapter sends a bad signal? Which the monitor garbles into noise? or the adapter is making it into noise.

Hell if I know, its just nice to know I'm not the only one experiencing this.