Pixel Problem Macbook Pro 13"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MUBiomed, Sep 12, 2010.

1. MUBiomed macrumors 6502

MUBiomed

I have owned my new MBP for less than 3 months and I have already spotted a dead pixel. It is about 2.5" about the dead center of the monitor. Whenever I have a browser or any other light background up I see it stick out like a sore thumb. I did a search on the forums and saw that Apple has a "policy" regarding these things before they will replace it. The nearest Apple store is 3 hours away and they want me to bring it in. Obviously I don;t want to drive all the way there for them to turn me away. What do you guys think....too OCD? The short amount of time I have owned it though makes me want it fixed...and I can't NOT see it now that I know it's there (yes it's a double negative).

2. rkmac macrumors 6502

rkmac

Take it back of course. You payed for a perfect product, and it isn't. You are definitely not being OCD. If my screen had a dead pixel I would take it back as well.

3. altecXP macrumors 65816

Make sure you read the warranty, I know some companies require at lest 3 pixels to be dead before they will replace.

4. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

The OP stated that he bought it 3 months ago. There's no return policy.

Actually Apple's policy is 5 or more pixels before they will do a screen replacement. Sometimes it's on a case by case basis. They may even do it with one bad pixel.

5. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

Wouldn't hurt to take it in. Just be calm and rational when talking to the "Genius".

6. MUBiomed thread starter macrumors 6502

MUBiomed

It irritates me that there is a dead pixel required number before they will officially help you. For them to tell me that the dead pixel is not that big of a deal is off putting (I realize it's not just Apple who does this). I will probably try over Thanksgiving to get it replaced. Any one know if they will replace the screen and leave everything else or will I need to take the bottom off and remove my HDD for a refurb unit? (Assuming the agree to replace it of course)

7. altecXP macrumors 65816

Most likely the screen will be replaced.

8. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Definitely, the screen will be replaced. That is, if they decide to even repair your computer.

9. MUBiomed thread starter macrumors 6502

MUBiomed

Oh they will.....THEY WILL.....(retreats to lair)

10. ljx718 macrumors 6502

ive heard that massaging the pixel sometimes makes it work

11. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

Yep... but you can't massage it under glass. ;)

12. ljx718 macrumors 6502

correct. also, check out some programs to un stick a stuck pixel. you never, could help with the dead one

13. Heat305 macrumors newbie

Hi, I did have the same problem as the OP but mine was just one day old. I took it in, showed the salesman the dead pixel and gave me a new one right out of the box right then and there. Did it just develop or was it there all along? Anyways I would give it a try, maybe it will help you that its in the middle. I say just take it in and try to be as polite as possible and see what happens. Good Luck

14. Alexjones macrumors 6502

I have one dead pixel on my MBP . Apple will replace the screen and body, Basically the whole top half of the unit free of charge. They will do all the work at my local Apple store. Has Anyone here had a display replacement?

15. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

I agree with all replies to be polite at the Genius Bar ... I say even go with extra polite. I have found when dealing with customer service this helps. (reason being is ... anyone who works all day in customer service will go out of their way to help politeness ... it delays dealing with the next client who might be an Ogre. If you are Super Nice ... they may even rise above the call of duty and swap a screen that is 1 dead pixel below the replacement policy.

plus treat the 3 hour drive as a mission to put this Dead pixel to rest. The longer you wait the more you will think about it.

Good Luck