Pixel problems with Retina iMac ?? [Stuck | Dead | Hot Pixels]

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Sean92110, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Sean92110 macrumors newbie

The new Retina iMac offers the very best display one could hope for in a Mac, hands down. Brilliant colours and excellent resolution, I'm blown away by the clarity with which I experience OS/X now ...

I do have one hot pixel though - a red one, very close to the center. It's only visible on dark background and only if you move close enough and where to look at, so probably no good reason for returning the entire machine. Yet, it would have been nice to receive an immaculate diplay ....

Question to the RiMac owners: Did you observe any dead, hot / stuck pixels on your display ??

2. FredT2 macrumors 6502

No.

3. zas macrumors member

I have to stop reading these forums.. I am going to go crazy.

4. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

You really should return your machine, even only for a tiny tiny red hot pixel. It could be growing into a bigger problem over time. So yeah, exchange it while you can, instead waiting for it to be annoying enough and have it serviced. It will never be the same again.

5. enroh macrumors member

HAHAHA I know what you mean...

6. ichii macrumors 6502a

ichii

Could you return it due to a stuck/dead pixel?

7. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

If you're still in 14 days return period, then yes.

8. Seramir macrumors member

Seramir

I'm surprised you can even see any dead/stuck pixels considering how many pixels there are on the Retina iMac.

I had dead/stuck pixels before on the non-Retina 27" iMac and I had to squint hard to see them. Even worse than that though, I had particles of dust trapped behind the LCD on some that I of course replaced. Back light bleed is also a huge problem, as 4/5 units I had all had them to a degree.

It seems like the quality control of the displays here are as still as garbage as ever and you should consider yourself lucky if you get a good one.

9. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

I know! First backlight bleed, then yellowing, now dead pixels :mad:
    At least mine doesn't have any dead pixels. I hope.

10. WilliamG macrumors G3

Sometimes I really need to avoid Macrumors.

Quite frankly, there's over 14.7 million pixels on this display. I'm amazed only one of them is dead/stuck on yours! :D

11. UncleGuido macrumors newbie

Possible fix

Try gently pressing and/or rubbing with your finger on the screen over the stuck pixel. Use a cotton glove or put your hand in a t-shirt if you are worried about fingerprints. Believe it or not, I have seen this "wake up" stuck pixels. But it does not work in all cases.

Even if it stays stuck - is one bad pixel really a reason to return the machine? Can you really see one dead pixel on a Retina display? Your eyes must be a hell of a lot better than mine.

12. Wiggle macrumors member

13. kucyk macrumors member

That could work on the normal screen when you have a direct access to the display but not on the iMac where the display panel is covered by the glass...